Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using the Guru Digi Q to maintain higher temperatures.

Options
HawgWild
HawgWild Posts: 1
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a great success using the BBQ Guru Digi Q II for slow and low. However, I have no success with maintaining a temperature of 350 deg. Three times I have cooked a beer can chicken, using the plate setter.  I can hit and maintain and grate temp of 350, that is until I place the chicken.  Once I do, I am unable to get the grate temp much above 300.

I have both the fan blower and the BGE top vent wide open. It's not until I open the draft door that I can again hit 350.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this behavior.

Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Are you saying that you have the digi q blower in place and the damper on the barrel is wide open? Pit minders are intended to maintain barbeque temps under 300*. What is the CFM of your blower?
  • HawgWild
    HawgWild Posts: 1
    Options
    Correct, the damper on the barrel is wide open. It's a Pit Viper 10 CFM Fan on a large BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Leave the vent wide open on the viper, and open a second air vent next to the pit viper.  Try not opening the spider all the way, you want to keep the heat in, you just need it open enough to match the airflow going in.

With the DigiQ turned off, adjust your dampers to get a stable temp under what you're shooting for.  Then turn on the DigiQ and it should, with the 10 cfm blower, be able to raise the temp to setpoint.

Options
    Hmmmm...no idea. I've never had a problem maintaining 350-450 using my Auber with just the petals open on the top. I've only done it a few times because personally I don't think its hard to maintain those temperatures just using the vents and no controller.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I did a whole chicken with my Guru at 300 with no issue.  I ran the pit viper at half on the barrel damper and the petals on the DFMT just slightly open - around 1/8 to 1/4 inch.  While I wasn't trying to maintain 350, I am sure I could have dialed in the Guru for 350 and it would have jumped up to that temp.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Correct, the damper on the barrel is wide open. It's a Pit Viper 10 CFM Fan on a large BGE

How long are you waiting for the temp to recover after adding the cold mass?