Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked salmon help\suggestions needed

Options
2EgginBeagles
2EgginBeagles Posts: 7
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking salmon this weekend for the first time. My plan is to (1) use a cedar plank, (2) cover in olive oil and Raging River, (3) cook at 400 direct for 15 min or so (or until the white fat starts to come up).

My questions are:

1) raised grid or lower placement
2) do I monitor temp of the fish or just watch for the white fat to come up
3) any other suggestions on marinade or seasoning
4) anything to look for when getting the fish from the store
5) when cooking do I need to flip the fish half way through

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    When I do planked salmon (LBGE) -

1.  Standard grid height
    2.  I watch for the white fat / albumin.
    3.  I skip the OO, just use rub (Raging River & something to give it more spice, like Jamaican Firewalk or Swamp Venom) plus a spritz of bourbon & water.
    4.  Personal preference of skin on filets not from the tail portion.  
    5.  Skin down, no flip.

I'd suggest placing the pre-soaked plank on the egg first, and adding the fish after the plank is smoking.  Happy cooking.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    I like to make a mixture of maple syrup and brown sugar and brush it on the Raging River.  I cook mine directly on the grid, don't like the tast of cedar (personal preference).  If you have any alder wood chunks they make terriffic smoke for salmon.