Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig

Options
hopkinsusmc87
hopkinsusmc87 Posts: 250
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I've been reading up on the forum, and a lot of you say Dizzy Pig is the bomb!  I trust what you are all saying so I went on the Dizzy Pig site and ordered some today.  I did not like the price (1 quart size) total to include shipping $40.95 (wife is going to kick my butt).  All I can say is WOW what a chunk of change to drop on a rub.  I've read a lot of reviews and they are all positive so I'm excited to see how it is on ribs and Boston Butts. Does anyone use something different that is just as good but cheaper? I dont mind spending this much on a rub as long as it lives up to the hype! Let me know how you like Dizzy Pig and how you use it.  Until then Happy Egging.   

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Which flavor of rub did you buy?
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options

I got the Original regular grind. 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I thought when I ordered my first shipment it seemed high, too - but then I compared to rubs from the grocery store - the Dizzy Pig shakers are 8 oz for $9.00.  Most stuff I get at Kroger is $4-5 for only 3-4 oz.  So actually right in line with retail brands.  Everyone says make your own, but after you get tins of sugar, salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, etc - now THAT adds up!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I got the dizzy dust , raising the steaks and a couple of others in smaller sizes. So far like it a lot.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• hopkinsusmc87
    Options

I never thought of it that way. Cookbook_Chip you just made my day and now I have solid justification as to why I purchased the rub. The wife can’t argue with that. Cool beans!  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I never thought of it that way. Cookbook_Chip you just made my day and now I have solid justification as to why I purchased the rub. The wife can’t argue with that. Cool beans! 

Just hope she does not look at other bbq rubs in the stores. it's twice as much as most but I love it and use it all the time. I still have some cheaper options that i use as well.

if you buy spices in bulk, you can make your own for $1-$2 but it won't be as good or as complex as Dizzy

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    I was going to get the "Raising the Steaks" because I use McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning and my family loves it so I think my next order will be the Raising the Steaks. I'll let the sticker shock wear off of the wife before I do another purchase again. 
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Cen-Tex I agree and I'm a Lazzy cooker so finding the right rub is key when doing ribs and butts. I've done the "make your own" and I agree it just does not seem as good.  I cannot afford to make a batch of rub that I might not like.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I was going to get the "Raising the Steaks" because I use McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning and my family loves it so I think my next order will be the Raising the Steaks. I'll let the sticker shock wear off of the wife before I do another purchase again. 
    redeye is good on beef, Tsunami Spin is awesome on everything that is not beef. It's the "catch all" when you can't decide- fish, chicken, pork loins....it's awesome
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options

Cen-Tex do you use Tsunami Spin on ribs and butts? 

• hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    redeye is good on beef, Tsunami Spin is awesome on everything that is not beef. It's the "catch all" when you can't decide- fish, chicken, pork loins....it's awesome
    I see someone has posted "Pork Butt Rubs" and you mentioned Bad Byrons. How is that on price? From your comments I would assume I made the right choice with Dizzy Pig.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Cen-Tex do you use Tsunami Spin on ribs and butts? 

I haven't. I use Dizzy Dust on butts and sometimes on ribs. Salt Lick is my favorite on ribs and it's around $5 for the 8oz bottle so I use it where I can.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Salt Lick, Is that something they sell in the regular chain stores? Or do I need to order it?
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Another good thing about Dizzy Pig vs. store bought rubs is that they have about 20% less salt. I would rather have more flavor from spices than salt. Salt is cheap, spices are not so this could be a reason for the added expense. I also heard they grind the spices fresh. So if you think about it there is some added value to the Dizzy Pig products.

Bad Byron's is a bit less expensive, however the number 1 ingredient is salt. I love Bad Byron's on pork butt, but it is way to salty for my taste on ribs. Dizzy Dust on ribs is awesome to me.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    ncbbq thanks for the comment, very sound advice. I to need to cut back on salt so Im feeling better about buying Dizzy Pig.  Love it 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ncbbq thanks for the comment, very sound advice. I to need to cut back on salt so Im feeling better about buying Dizzy Pig.  Love it 
    Salt Lick rub  is loaded with salt

It's available in some spots but they have a website as well: saltlickbbq.com

Their original sauce is amazing on ribs. it caramelizes up perfectly and is really unique
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    What I did first was get Dizzy Dust shaker and the 10 pack sampler.  The samples go a long way!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I just did my first batch of wings with Swamp Venom. Awesome stuff!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• hopkinsusmc87
    Options

Cookbook_Chip the family cook book project is a great idea! I've got a ton of recipes written on scrap sheets of paper in my drawer that would be perfect for it.  Ill have to buy the sampler because I downloaded the pdf "Which Dizzy Pig Rub?" and I like what I see.  I guess I got a list of items the kids can get me for Christmas, LOL

• hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Hokie when you do wings, your just cooking them on the egg, right? So you leave them on until they are real crispy and then add sauce or you just using Swamp Venom.  You guys are giving me great ideas. Love it
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    @hopkinsusmc87 - thanks on family cookbook!  It is a very fun biz - have fun with the rubs!
  • schwaggy
    schwaggy Posts: 17
    Options
    Love the Dizzy Pig rubs, especially the regular grind Dizzy Dust.
    I was curious to try Salt Lick, both the rub and both sauces, original and spicy.
    I went to place an order for the 3 pack and shipping is more than the products themselves for regular UPS Ground - $21.24
    Sorry, but that irks me. No thanks.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Summit sitting lonely in the corner...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Love the Dizzy Pig rubs, especially the regular grind Dizzy Dust.
    I was curious to try Salt Lick, both the rub and both sauces, original and spicy.
    I went to place an order for the 3 pack and shipping is more than the products themselves for regular UPS Ground - $21.24
    Sorry, but that irks me. No thanks.

Yeah, that's crazy. i wouldn't do it either. And don't buy the spicy sauce if you ever do. The original is where it's at
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

I did the wings this way:

washed the wings (fresh not frozen) and patted it dry with a towel. Then sprinkled generous amount of dizzy pig rub, let it sit maybe 2 hours or so. When you can no longer stand being hungry, throw it on the egg direct at 350 fo 30 min, turn and go 30 min or until done. pick em up and toss in wing sauce if desired or serve on the side.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I usually make my own rubs, but now I've got to try Dizzy.  I just ordered one of each 8oz rub they make (11 total).  $97 shipped (yowch!)
    I usually make my own rubs, but now I've got to try Dizzy.  I just ordered one of each 8oz rub they make (11 total).  $97 shipped (yowch!)
    I did the same thing
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had to spend over $90 to get the free shipping (and save $12).... I know I'm going to get nagged about where we're going to store all these, so I think I'll make a rub rack.
    Options
    Shipping Method:  Standard  
    Items:    $97.35  
    Shipping & Handling:    $11.68  
    Promotion Applied:    -$11.68  
       ------  
    Total Before Tax:    $97.35  
    Estimated Tax To Be Collected:*    $0.00  
       ------  
    Order Total:    $97.35  

Delivery estimate: July 19, 2012 - July 24, 2012  1 "Dizzy Pig BBQ Cow Lick Steak Rub - 8 Oz"
    Misc.; $8.85
    In Stock
       Sold by: Treasure Journeys  
     1 "Dizzy Pig BBQ Jamaican Firewalk Rub Spice - 8 Oz"
    Misc.; $8.85
    In Stock
     1 "Dizzy Pig BBQ Coarse Grind Regular Rub Spice - 8 Oz"
    Misc.; $8.85
    In Stock
     1 "Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head Sweet Rub"