Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE - 7 St. Louis Racks, wondering about time and temp

johnraz
johnraz Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in Pork
Hi all,

So, I've got my Barbecue Guru DIGQ DX2, just plugged in in for first time. Look intuitive! Thank you!

So, I've got a party at 7, I'm wondering how long these ribs will take. I'll be using a Manlaw Rack. I'm thinking about 5 hours at 275, then rest for an hour. 

The DIGQ's got a meat probe too. What temp should I set that to?

Thanks again for all your help.

John

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318

Only LBGE here but my experience with St. Louis Ribs is that your estimate is in the ball-park.  By rest if you mean foiling then that should finish them off.  WRT-rib temp-that's a challenge due to the large bone-to-meat mass.  I use the bend test (take a full length rack and pick it up with a set of tongs-if it bends  to around 90 degrees-done) or toothpick test (insert a toothpick into the meat near the bones-no resistance, in and out-good to go)  Perhaps others have used a meat thermo on ribs and will be along.  Enjoy-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Are you planning on foiling them, or basting throughout the cook? Mine I did 250/275. The thing about ribs - they are done when they're done, so don't get hung up on using your food temp probe. When the meat begins to pull away from the bone, and they pass the bend test, they are done.

I also would not rest them, no need. Sauce the last 30 minutes, pull, slice, and serve.
  • Temp will be approximately 200* but as JWB says temp is not always the deciding factor. I am usually somewhere between 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours at 250* dome but have gone as long as 9 hours
  • johnraz
    johnraz Posts: 6
    Great! Thanks. Yea, I was just putting more rub on and wondering where I'd stick that temp gauge.

Guess I'd pretty get them babies on now. Party's in 8 hours ... And yes, I'll be foil wrapping for the rest.

Thanks again
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    if you're digi-q probe is on the rack next to the ribs 275 and your time is spot on, at least for my large! i'd never go longer than 5 hours at that temp, and please don't wrap them, you're going to turn them into to soggy fall off the bone pulled ribs. just my advice