Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First sous vide boneless chicken breast with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk finished on the egg

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, all the talk about sous vide a month or so ago caught my attention and I finally took the plunge with a Polyscience sous vide professional circulator.

Actually, it was my first boneless chicken breasts on the egg!

Chicken breasts were in the bath @ 147 for 1.5 hours with Jamaican Firewalk then finished by searing on the egg.  Small cast iron grid sitting on a spider in the LBGE pre-heated @500 for 15 minutes.  The breasts were on the egg for less than 2 minutes.

Best barbecued chicken breasts I ever had!

I'll do some research and next time I'll probably try a lower temperature.

imageimageimage

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Noticeably more tender/moist than usual?
    Options
    I've never cooked boneless breasts on the egg before, I might try now just to compare...

They were a lot more tender/moist than any breasts i've cooked on my propane bbq or oven.

The taste of the spices was strong but not overpowering, much better than simoly sprinkling then cooking.

They are by far

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Welcome to the club. takes chicken breast to a whole new level. I'm going to do a pork belly this weekend and sear it on the egg. Can't wait!

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Welcome to the club. takes chicken breast to a whole new level. I'm going to do a pork belly this weekend and sear it on the egg. Can't wait!

At what temperature and how long are you cooking your chicken breasts?  I did 147 but I read that you can go lower.   I've always been paranoid with chicken cooking temperatures....

Options
    I'm a believer! I purchased a Sous Vide Supreme two weeks ago. Chipotle rubbed bone in ribeye last Friday was the best ever! Followed that up today with jerk chicken breast.

For the chicken:
    Two breast- bone in
    Walkerswood jerk seasoning in jar ( wet)
    Liberal amount of jerk then vacuum seal and put in fridge for 24 hrs
    This evening put in SV at 156 for 1 hr 15 min
    Then on Egg with heavy smoke for 5 min at 500 degrees

Finished with Jamaican fruit salsa.

Best piece if chicken I have ever cooked! Wife isn't a huge fan of protien she destroyed a whole breast.

Tomorrow wife has request in for filets. (I'd prefer a big ribeye but need to keep the boss happy).. I'll try some photos
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I posted a couple days ago a recipe for scrambled eggs in the sous vide that made the best eggs I have ever had. For chicken I stick to 147 but saw a post at 142 previously.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Do any of you make chicken with skin? If so, how do you crisp the skin? I wondered about letting it cool and then direct skin down for a bit?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I posted a couple days ago a recipe for scrambled eggs in the sous vide that made the best eggs I have ever had. For chicken I stick to 147 but saw a post at 142 previously.
    I did some breasts early on around 142. Just hot enough to get some of the intra muscular collagen to break down in a few hours. Didn't both to offer them to my wife, as they were still rather pink inside. I'm not sure I liked the texture. I suppose it was because I'm not used to chicken breast that isn't stiff.

I also let some go over night. That was a mistake. The muscle so completely denatured, that chewing it reduced it to a dry, gum like mass in the mouth.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did some breasts early on around 142. Just hot enough to get some of the intra muscular collagen to break down in a few hours. Didn't both to offer them to my wife, as they were still rather pink inside. I'm not sure I liked the texture. I suppose it was because I'm not used to chicken breast that isn't stiff.

I also let some go over night. That was a mistake. The muscle so completely denatured, that chewing it reduced it to a dry, gum like mass in the mouth.

I do them around 145 for an hour/hour and a half. Juices are pouring all over the cutting board when you cut in to it.