Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging under a roof

Options
JohnMc
JohnMc Posts: 76
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm wondering if it's crazy to grill under an overhang. I'd never try it with a conventional grill. I live on a beach and almost every day see a renter with a gallon of charcoal lighter on a covered porch or inside a garage with flames everywhere. My egg sits on a deck under a roof ( houses here are on stilts) and I roll it out in the clear to cook. However, I'm thinking about putting it in a table which would be a bit more trouble to roll around. I've not yet experienced an "egg gone wild" like other more open grills do. Do any of you regularly egg under roof and do you think it's low risk? Thanks for comments and advice.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    First, congrats on living on a beach  ^:)^

Second, you can cook under an overhang but it can get smoky. I don't see any greater risk of fire if that is what you are asking. My FIL has his under a porch. It can smog you out from time to time (opening the lid on a hot cook etc) but it clears pretty fast. Might want to try a few cooks under there with the set up you have before making the final call.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    I have 3 eggs under a PVC roof and except for the smoke I never had a problem
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    mine sits on my front deck to my house with a roof over the entire deck . haven't had any issues in the almost two months i've had mine and it's cooked on every night 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mine is under a deck roof.  Only wall is in the back.  If there was more than one wall, I'd probably want a fan running to keep the smoke under control.  But, no, no problems.  Unless I threw gasoline in the egg, I don't think there's any risk of flames licking the ceiling of the roof.
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Forgot, I have 2 fans to help out too
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    One of mine is under a tent - less than 4 feet above the daisy wheel and no problems.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited July 2012
    Options
    One of mine is under a tent - less than 4 feet above the daisy wheel and no problems.
    That is a beautiful setup there dude..... Gotta love the BOSE outdoor speakers if that's what they are.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have mine under a trellis with no issues. I mean put your hand over the exhaust from 4 feet away; no heat at that distance.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    I used to cook under one at my old apt. And after a while it started to turn black and I had to paint over it when we moved.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've heard and seen pics of people warping the plastic stuff under their overhangs back on the old forum (back when we only had one). I pulled mine under the covered patio the other night when I was woking and it started to rain but that was due to circumstances. I don' think I would want mine under an overhang, but i really don't have a reason.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Cook under an overhang every day, only issue is soot on the ceiling.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    Options
    I have a walk out basement and my deck is above my egg, but it is about 12 feet concrete to deck. My only complaint is I get smoke in the house. I live on the edge of town and I am affected by the wind, so I keep it close to the house.
    LBGE South Dakota