Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

17 lb brisket cook on a med cook.

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BTW- If you live in an area with a whole foods, they usually have really h. igh quality packers ("choice or above") and they are around 9-10 lbs. Perfect fit and very high quality meat
    Depends on area, whole foods by me only has flats.
    If you haven't already, ask them. Mine only has flats in the case but they trim their own packers down to flats and they always go get mine in the back when I ask for them

Then ask them what day they get them in and put it on your calendar and call them and ask them to hold one for you when you want to do one. They will 
    Excellent idea sir, i called and they said flats, but flats started somewhere as a packer.
    correct. They normally do their own- at least around here
    Hard to find packers here. Have never been able to get them anywhere but butchers and usually have to order in advance.
    That's because Canadian's eat crap food
    From a man that has never tasted poutine.
    That actually looks pretty @#!*% good.

I was sure you were going to say "and Americans use apostrophes where they don't belong (Canadian's) :))

And BTW- I have eaten that. I didn't know it had a name. I just always called it "that sh*t I made when I was really drunk last night". Poutine is so much more sophisticated.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I called 3 Whole Foods, and all of them said they get the flat sent in already cut.  The Walnut Creek, CA Whole Foods butcher said that 9/10 of the people that buy briskets from him cook it as a roast.  Thus, my journey continues. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I called 3 Whole Foods, and all of them said they get the flat sent in already cut.  The Walnut Creek, CA Whole Foods butcher said that 9/10 of the people that buy briskets from him cook it as a roast.  Thus, my journey continues. 
    Crap. back to the drawing board

• Little Steven
    Options
    Your (English) confuses us enough already.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And yours is so colourful 
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Options
    Try Smart and Final for packers. 
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Delete post. Never mind.
  • Renatboost
    Renatboost Posts: 26
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I did a 17lber on my large, barely fit. Had to put a large ball of aluminum foil underneath the meat in the middle. This way the meat sort of bent the middle up which brings the sides in, away from the BGE top.

Was my best brisket by far!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Was able to take aluminum foil ball out from underneath after some shrinkage!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can use a foil wrapped brick or inverted rib rack under the brisket to shorten it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I realise that ours is somewhat different but we tend to favour English as a language

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I realise that ours is somewhat different but we tend to favour English as a language
    Well.....most of you anyway.

Well said

• Little Steven
    Options
    Touche.  I don't have any of those dammit french accents on my computer

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I found packers at Smart and Final and it failed bend test, which I am unsure if that really matters. I am looking for more packers to compare. Sam's has 6-8lb flats, I am probably going to give them a go too. I will also try whole foods flats. Correct me if I am wrong, but bigger flats are easier to cook due to moisture, right?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I found packers at Smart and Final and it failed bend test, which I am unsure if that really matters. I am looking for more packers to compare. Sam's has 6-8lb flats, I am probably going to give them a go too. I will also try whole foods flats. Correct me if I am wrong, but bigger flats are easier to cook due to koisture, right?
    Not necessarily. You just want a good quality flat with a nice fat cap. 
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    CEN-TEX,

I saw your post where you mentioned you like to V-Rack your brisket. Do you do the same method with Butts?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CEN-TEX,

I saw your post where you mentioned you like to V-Rack your brisket. Do you do the same method with Butts?
    yep

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I found packers at Smart and Final and it failed bend test, which I am unsure if that really matters. I am looking for more packers to compare. Sam's has 6-8lb flats, I am probably going to give them a go too. I will also try whole foods flats. Correct me if I am wrong, but bigger flats are easier to cook due to moisture, right?
    I get my packers from Smart & Final (especially if I find a Choice grade) and find the bend test to be a little hard to gauge sometimes due to the excessive amount of hard fat & cryovac wrap. After I trim off a couple of pounds of the hard fat it usually bends fine. Therefore I focus more on things like a more even thickness on the flat portion & marbling than the bend. I'd take one of these packers over a flat alone any day.

To the OP (Victim): great job on the cook & wedging that in the Egg! I wouldn't have thought it possible to fit a 17 pounder in anything smaller than a Large.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA