Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza Stone Question for LBGE

Duke_staDuke_sta Posts: 25
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to purchase a pizza stone and want to get my fellow eggster's opinion. 

Should I purchase the 14' from BGE or a 16" which is recommended from the Naked Whiz's site?

What size do you prefer and why? 

Fire away!!

·

Comments

• xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    i've got the 13" one from the ceramic grill store because I bought the adjustable rig customer combo, and that came with the rig and the spider and the stone. 13" is too small, i have to make way too many pies. Next stop is a 16" stone. From what I hear that's the largest that will fit on top of the rig+extender. Which puts it nice and high up in the dome for great radiant heat.
    ·
  • Hillbilly-HightechHillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited July 2012
    Well, it depends on what size pizzas you are cooking.  I usually cook Costco pizzas, which are 16" in diameter.  I have a 16" dia stone, and so they fit perfectly.  

If you were to put a 16" pizza on a 14" stone, the edges would hang over the side.

FWIW, I have this 16" stone from "Old Stone Oven" and have been very satisfied w/ it:  

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • misumisu Posts: 213
    I used BGE one for several years and I'm happy with it but after reading your post I added the old stone 16" to my wishlist :)
    ·
  • JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    I make smaller pies so the 14" BGE stone works great for me. I didn't consider buying premade 16" pies but that sounds like a good idea, I'd get the 16" if I could do over.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186

I have a16" primo that has ceramic coated top.I like the size because i can do any size pizza, & baguettes & bread.

It was a gift

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010090.jpg

·
  • HappyBobHappyBob Posts: 4
    I have a LBGE and I have a 16" stone and there sufficient room for ventilation.
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I also like the real estate on the 16"
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    ·
  • Duke_staDuke_sta Posts: 25
    I will purchase the 16" then from Amazon. Thanks for the input all!
    ·
    Another question do you use and wood chunks for your pies? What flavor of smoke? When do you put it on?
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I don't use any wood for smoke with pizza....its easy to go overboard. If I'm looking for a smokey flavor, I add it in the toppings....bacon, smoked cheese, etc.
    ·
    Thanks Quinn
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,017
    These are a a little thicker than most pizza stones I see on Amazon....this company uses the same material for commercial ovens.  I'd try one, but I already have a stone.

http://www.bakingstone.com/order.php

·
  • MattlockMattlock Posts: 64
    Another question do you use and wood chunks for your pies? What flavor of smoke? When do you put it on?
    I like to add a little wood when I do mac-n-cheese but went overboard a couple of weeks back, it was so smoky it was basically inedible.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
    ·
  • GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 272
    Get the Bigger one or you will regret it and end up with two.
    ·