Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swing rack?

Comments

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Low carbon steel, it'll season like cast iron, the more you use it the better it performs.

Checkout our videos at our web site.

We've had a set of carbon steel frypans for over a decade.  We love them and they get better every year.  It's a great metal for putting heat to meat.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Low carbon steel, it'll season like cast iron, the more you use it the better it performs.

Checkout our videos at our web site.

We've had a set of carbon steel frypans for over a decade.  We love them and they get better every year.  It's a great metal for putting heat to meat.
    Firing up some steaks in mine right now. :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Anyone have any pics of meat and veggies on the two tier rack.
    Here's my setup.  Cooking some jerk chicken down below and some plantains on top :)

Thanks for the pic that's exactly what I would like to do, can the top grid be removed relatively easy and then lowered and used above the coals for searing have you tried that Sgt.

Cheers
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    WOW!!!! Blown away with this thread! Once again thank you to everyone that has commented and for all the orders that have been coming in. I'm truly touched.

Warranty wise, I feel our product is well built to withstand some very long term use, should anyone have an issue please let me know and I'll work with you as best I can, customer support is very important to me!!

With the use of the plate setter or any type of indirect setup, I would recommend ordering the post kit. What this will do is give you more flexibility for the up and down feature the upper rack has. With the standard post, you will strike the indirect setup below the main, so switching out the shafts will gain you more functionality.

If you have any questions please contact me.

Thanks again everyone.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • CGW1

Thanks for the pic that's exactly what I would like to do, can the top grid be removed relatively easy and then lowered and used above the coals for searing have you tried that Sgt.

Cheers

The upper rack can be removed pretty easy, however they cannot be reversed.....smaller grate on the bottom and bigger on top. I never intended for the system to be reversed. If I understood your question correctly??

• CGW1
    Sorry, I didn't quote stoater's post correctly.
  • Stoater
    That's alright no I was just wondering if the top grate could be removed and used seperatley for searing steaks lower in the coals, maybe using the spider.
  • CGW1
    I got ya now!!! All I can tell you is to give it a try.....if it'll fit. I don't think you want to wedge it in your firebox, as it expands with heat it may crack your box, and placing it between your fire ring and fire box would be to big a hassel, so you might be better off just using the spider.
  • Sgt93
    Anyone have any pics of meat and veggies on the two tier rack.
    Here's my setup.  Cooking some jerk chicken down below and some plantains on top :)

Cheers
    The top grate is very easy to remove. I remove both separately when I light the XL for ease. They have some weight to them, but again, that's the quality of the racks.
  • Sgt93
    Tonights dinner (lousy phone pics plus Crown Royal :))  )
  • Sgt93
    edited July 2012
    Well seasoned grates :)
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    It would be nice if someone came up with a simple adapter to allow a weber grate to be swung out above the original BGE grate.  Kind of like the post kit.  I don't really see any need to replace the original grate and the weber 18" grates are cheap and can be found anywhere.

I did see some plans to something someone made themselves using simple bolts, however I have only been able to find bolts coated in Zinc. 
    XL BGE
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    "With the use of the plate setter or any type of indirect setup, I would recommend ordering the post kit. What this will do is give you more flexibility for the up and down feature the upper rack has. With the standard post, you will strike the indirect setup below the main, so switching out the shafts will gain you more functionality. "

Franco...I have ordered the post kit as well. I have the LBGE...please explain what you mean by the above. Thanks a lot,
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • CGW1
    It's much easier to explain over the phone, I'll contact you and explain.
  • Stoater
    I think I may have found the answer to my question and with a little help from you all.

I own an XL and have been looking for an upper rack for cooking my veggies, I have also been looking for a lower cast iron grill, and then a smaller cast iron grill for searing steaks and what not lower over the coals as a lot of you do, I wondered if I could take the upper rack from the swing rack and place it on a spider and use it for searing, and it looks like according to Sgt its pretty easy to take off.  So I looked at the spider on the ceramic grill store and it will take an 18 inch grate which is perfect:

So I am going to go with the swing rack, and 1.25 inch spider for searing, dang I need a wok too.

Thanks for all the info and helping me make my decision.

Cheers

• Sgt93
    @Stoater congrats! Yes, the top grate just lifts out of the bottom grate and only takes a second.  Very easy and convenient if you only want to use the bottom grate for a cook.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited July 2012

CGWI have ordered a swing rack for the Large BGE, but did not order the post kit. Have a question.

Can I use a pizza stone on the top shelf. Will a BGE pizza stone fit into the dome when on the top shelf?

Oh. And I have not recd any conf/email of it being shipped.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CGW1
    Aviator,

Yes you can do 2 pizzas at the same time. I have a photo I can upload, but it's not on an egg, so I'm a little reluctant to post it.

The post kit is really for indirect setups, if your doing your pies indirect you still really don't need it for pizzas, but more so for thicker meats done up top...butts etc. if you think you need it you can order it and I'll include it with your rack order.

This thread has been awesome, but due to this thread, I'm now sold out as of Tuesday, I'll be restocked in about 2-3 wks and I'll follow up to your email order with your FedEx tracking number once the order has shipped.

Any questions, please feel free to call me.
  • Sgt93
    edited July 2012
    I had to wait a few weeks for my 2-Tier, it was painful but worth it :) In the meantime, I can keep posting pics of cooks to rub it in :))

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I had to wait a few weeks for my 2-Tier, it was painful but worth it :) In the meantime, I can keep posting pics of cooks to rub it in :))

Jerk!

:) Please do.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I want one, but not in the budget right now. Maybe Santa will come early in the coming months.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Stoater
    This thread has been awesome, but due to this thread, I'm now sold out as of Tuesday, I'll be restocked in about 2-3 wks and I'll follow up to your email order with your FedEx tracking number once the order has shipped.  :((

Sgt - Keep posting pics you nasty man.
  • CGW1
    Does anyone think if I were to post some pics of food on the grill but the grill not being an egg....would I regret the post??
  • Stoater
    Does anyone think if I were to post some pics of food on the grill but the grill not being an egg....would I regret the post??
    Hey its the rack we are interested in, we can't help it if your using an inferior grill.  I would like to see some pics, help reassure me and pass the time till you get some more stock.   :)
  • CGW1
    Inferior grill??...now now be nice!!
    :((

Here are some pics and I promise I'll have some on an egg at some point.

imageimage
  • Sgt93
    Looks good Franco!

@Stoater I am doing a beer butt chicken tonight. FYI only :))
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice rack
    :D
    As fast as pizzas cook, do you really need to do 2 at once?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."