Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How much should a table cost

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,523
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
To have someone build it.. Im visiting family in Fl and found a place selling bge tables for $200...which is amazing since all the places ive been looking charge 500-1500. Anybody know if any table builders in colorado?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Posts: 413
    If you find a well made table for $200, I'd say jump on it...as long as it's not white pine or pressure treated wood. I built a solid Cypress table from scratch with screws for $140, plus the cost of the caster wheels, which was another $40. No way in the world I'd spend $500-$600 on a grill table, unless it was Teak, Ipe, or some other very nice S. American hardwood.

If you think you can build it on your ow, and you're in CO, look at 1x material in Aspen. It's a great hardwood that looks amazing finished. It should be very reasonable for you, since it's a local wood. Good luck!
    Athens, GA
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,523
    Yeah im not buildinf it... I lack the time and tools. Im in FL visiting fam and here in fl.. There selling a table for 200..
  • GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 171
    I wonder how much it would be to ship it home?
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 9,002
    I'd be highly suspicious.  You get what you pay for.

• mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,523
    I saw the table and its pretty good quality. Made from cypress
  • njlnjl Posts: 729
    Where in FL is this?  Does the seller have a web site?
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Hey you guys!  The reason a good craftsman charges higher prices is because you are paying for his skill to make something you could never make.  I have made 7 tables for prices ranging from $500 to $900 for the labor.  A very good quality table material list will set you back anywhere from $200 to $500.  This is not like haggling for a good price on a bag of lump.  To some people carpentry is like heart surgery.  35 years of my skills and all my tools have to be worth something.  I built my own rig and the materials cost almost $600.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    There's a big difference between the cheap tables mass produced in a factory and a custom made table.  The factory makes them efficiently and therefore has lower labor costs.  One-of-a-kind, custom tables take a lot of labor, and if you're going to spend that time and/or money, you want good materials and a design giving you a table that's going to last, hopefully, a lifetime.  

I was looking at the BGE tables and the planks are stapled on, design was slightly flimsy in my opinion, and it was about what I expected it to be for the price.

I built my table right - with floating tenon joinery, epoxy, expansion sliders, etc.  Took me probably 50 hours, and I have professional tools.  Of course, I had fun doing it, drank and I watched a bunch of games through the construction so I wasn't as efficient as I could have been....

• There's a big difference between the cheap tables mass produced in a factory and a custom made table.  The factory makes them efficiently and therefore has lower labor costs.  One-of-a-kind, custom tables take a lot of labor, and if you're going to spend that time and/or money, you want good materials and a design giving you a table that's going to last, hopefully, a lifetime.  

I was looking at the BGE tables and the planks are stapled on, design was slightly flimsy in my opinion, and it was about what I expected it to be for the price.

I built my table right - with floating tenon joinery, epoxy, expansion sliders, etc.  Took me probably 50 hours, and I have professional tools.  Of course, I had fun doing it, drank and I watched a bunch of games through the construction so I wasn't as efficient as I could have been....
    I have professional tools but absolutely no talent
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 788
    My dad and I built 2 tables from NakedWhiz.com plans in 7 hours. Another 3 hours for finishing. Cost of materials for each table $200. Good construction, perfect, no, but good.
    Sweet! 

I probably spent most of my time pulling nails from reclaimed wood, filling holes and the finishing.
    My dad and I built 2 tables from NakedWhiz.com plans in 7 hours. Another 3 hours for finishing. Cost of materials for each table $200. Good construction, perfect, no, but good.

• AviatorAviator Posts: 1,402

Here I am trying to source some redwood as nobody carry any hereabouts.

I like the way they look on other eggheads that have built them.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,135
    edited July 2012

I would be interested in building you a table and discussing a price.Take a look at mine and see if you like it.I'm not a pro but do decent work.If you have a great idea for a table that would be an option.It doesn't have to have three shelves.Can make it for more than one egg or the ability to add another egg.

Here's another link for ideas.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

Should take about a couple of weeks. High quality cerdar ( from a lumber yard..not Lowes or Home Depot.) 3 coats of spar varnish.Castors from Castor City

I'm just south of Denver.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010116.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010108.jpg

option for back door entry for easy loading and removing

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010100.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010119.jpg

• A2ZA2Z Posts: 98

As a cabinetmaker and builder for over 30 years, I would think a table for an egg costing 200.00 would make you run away. 

As everyone said here, there are so many variables.  To ask how much a table for an egg should cost is like asking how blue should the sky be?

Look for quality construction and quality materials.  It can be done without having to sell the farm in order to pay for it.

• cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 1,804
    Sky's the limit. I've got $500 in mine. It largely depends on the material. I was going to use white oak, but at over $5 per board foot for rough lumber, it was too much. I used PT for the frame, PVC decking for the lower shelf, and had a concrete top made ny a friend. PT wasn't my first choice, by a long shot, but it fit the budget. I'll stain it with some Sikkens SRD in a few days. O built it in January and wanted the lumber to dry out for a while.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    A heart surgeon dropped off his vintage V-12 Jaguar for a valve job.  The shop called the doc back the next day and quoted him a price of $4800.00.  The doc gave his approval and was told to pick it up at the end of the week.  The doc was at the cashier window to pay his bill and the woman taking care of him said, "My that was an expensive fix" and the doc replied, "Yes. but much cheaper than a heart valve replacement".  The woman then asked, "Well how long does that surgery take"?  "About 14 hours", replied the doc.  The woman looked at the bill and then said, "The valve job took twice that long".  Not to be outdone the doc replied, "Tell the mechanics to try doing a valve job with the engine running".  You get what you pay for.   

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • GatoGordoGatoGordo Posts: 42
    Not to be outdone the doc replied, "Tell the mechanics to try doing a valve job with the engine running".  You get what you pay for.   
    I hope you realize that the doctor does not work on the heart while it is beating. He does the same as the car mechanic namely, stop the engine, work on it, and then restart it.

Also, after surgery, the patient is required to take drugs for the rest of his life while the auto mechanic will have the car running as good as new.

I am not sure about the you get what you pay for.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, StokerConsole
  • jbates67jbates67 Posts: 149
    Built a version of the NakedWhiz table using all red oak, primarily purchased from Home Depot except for the 2x4 leg material that I had to source from a marine lumber place here in south FL. With the screws, varnish, etc I spent a little over $300 for the materials.
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 179
    I built my own cypress table, pretty much like the BGE table, and the materials alone were $240.   I also live in the southeast where cypress is readily accessible.