Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baby Back Ribs - Insane in the Membrane!

mholecmholec Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've done quite a few baby back ribs this year and every once in awhile it appears the membrane has already been removed from the ribs.  I always get pre-packaged ribs wherever I find them cheap, and if I buy 3 slabs,  odds are one of them already has the membrane removed.  I'm I insane or is this common?

·

Comments

• TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    It sounds like a golden ticket to me, I have never had that happen to me.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    It sounds like a golden ticket to me, I have never had that happen to me.
    +1 
    Maybe the butcher likes you! 
    ;)
    ·
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 105
    I've had ribs from Sams or Costco with the membrane removed. Only once in a while though.
    Cedar Park, TX
    ·
  • EggdamEggdam Posts: 218
    Twice for me this summer. Just one rack in the group thou.
    ·
  • BrowninggoldBrowninggold Posts: 453
    I've had 2 slabs out of a bunch of the 3 packs from SAMS Club w/membrane removed. Hate it.....sometimes it is hard to tell if the membrane is removed and I spend way too much time removing the membrane when it's not even there. How many have done that:) or am I the only one.
    ·
  • EggdamEggdam Posts: 218
    Um ya the first time I was going nuts trying to find it.
    ·
  • I've had 2 slabs out of a bunch of the 3 packs from SAMS Club w/membrane removed. Hate it.....sometimes it is hard to tell if the membrane is removed and I spend way too much time removing the membrane when it's not even there. How many have done that:) or am I the only one.

Been there, done that!
    ·
  • EllerEller Posts: 56
    Farmland back ribs come packaged without the membranes. I buy them at a local AZ grocer named Basha's. I recommend this brand. They are meaty, but a bit more expensive. Still, for $3.68/lb not a bad price.
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Farmland back ribs come packaged without the membranes. I buy them at a local AZ grocer named Basha's. I recommend this brand. They are meaty, but a bit more expensive. Still, for $3.68/lb not a bad price.
    $3.68 a lb would be a sale price in central KY.  Yes I've come across ribs with the membrane removed. 
    ·
  • I've had 2 slabs out of a bunch of the 3 packs from SAMS Club w/membrane removed. Hate it.....sometimes it is hard to tell if the membrane is removed and I spend way too much time removing the membrane when it's not even there. How many have done that:) or am I the only one.

+1 just did that on the fourth, second time that has happened to me. Both times I got the ribs from Costco. :0(
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • mholecmholec Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info!   I was like you NewEnglandEgger the first time I experienced this.  I'll call myself lucky next time it happens, but only if I don't hack up a slab looking for it!  Have a good cookin weekend!
    ·
  • ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 389
    I am a member at Costco, and that is one of their selling points,their ribs are already peeled.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

·
  • ribnrunribnrun Posts: 174
    My costco sells the 3 pack of babybacks that buy quite often. It is more common for me to find them all peeled. Every now and them one in a pack will still have an intact membrane.

First time it confused me, spent 15 minutes trying to figure out where the membrane went.
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 818
    Farmland to the rescue.  It's been a while since I've done a big batch of ribs from Costco...and while prepping them tonight I was distracted by guests.  I totally forgot about the membrane until I was done applying wet and dry rubs.  I scraped off the bottoms, picked at them a bit, and concluded that the membranes were already gone.  I thought I remembered that being the norm for Farmland.  
    ·