Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Decissions

Options
ikolsteren
ikolsteren Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Planning to make my table for an Egg I am getting in August.  Would like to make with more storage.  I notice that not a lot of people include drawers or cabinets.
Is there a reason?  I am most likely making the table out of cedar as to its availability and cost and the top would be out of granite.
My only concerns or thoughts so far are to do with any warping of the wood and the weathering etc.
Any feedback would be appreciated

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Drawers and cabinets are great, but depending on where your egg will be stored, drawers can fill with water (think about calling it a night after cooking and letting your egg cool down without putting the cover on, going to bed and waking up after a hard rain).  Plus, they're challenging for novice wood workers to build.  The slides can corrode. 
    Options
    That said, don't be afraid to incorporate them in your design, just keep in mind that the environment of an egg table is severe.  Weather, sun, rain and, if you're doing hi-temp cooks like pizza, heat.  Think about drainage and ventilation of any drawers and cabinets if they may get wet so you don't incorporate design elements that may be weak points in longevity of your table.
    Options
    Those were sort of my thoughts as well and why I am on the fence on what to make. Chances are it won't be covered most the time so its leaning towards the open Egg table like you can buy.
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    Plastic storage containers with lids can be used as drawers, just a thought.
  • SalsaGids
    SalsaGids Posts: 25
    Options
    As you are already spending a lot on granite, do consider a metal cart. Especially when powdercoated it is 100% weather-proof and maintenance-free. And holds the weight of the granite better.
    For readyness I added a rail with 5 hooks for the BBQ tools like gripper, brush and gloves, because you will be using/not-using them a lot while BBQing, so do not put them in a cabinet or drawer.
    This leaves you with only 1 drawer/cabinet to store the coal, firestarters and matches.
    Please have a look at my cart to see if you like that setup.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I think you will like a granite top.  I made mine out of wood, and I didn't realize how dirty the top gets.  My cypress top is very difficult to clean (without re-sanding it).  A granite top would avoid this.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Check it out.  I put Uba Tooba granite wings on mine.  Designed and made this one.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • 2SCdoodlegg
    Options
    Check it out.  I put Uba Tooba granite wings on mine.  Designed and made this one.
    This is SUCH a cool table!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • Golfanatic
    Golfanatic Posts: 33
    Options
    Kudos on the Illy Italian coffee! Fine tastes in brew and BBQ. Great lookinng table too!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    The rain and snow were the exact reasons I did an open table. I did add bins on the bottom after it was built. They work just like drawers except they pull completely out and have lids. They stay as dry as a bone.
    Mark Annville, PA