Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Meatloaf

Options
Scott805
Scott805 Posts: 349
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Well I saw several posts the last few weeks and was bored on Sunday since the wife left.  I decided to give this meatloaf thing a try.  I used a recipe from this site that used 1 1/4 lbs of ground beef and 3/4 lbs. ground pork.  Picture #1 is the loaf going on the egg.  Picture #2 is after one hour on the egg.  Picture #3 is the finished product.  Picture #4 was after the first slice.

I cooked it a 250 degrees, PS legs up with drip pan on foil balls.  Cooked to 160 degrees internally.  Coolest thing I have ever seen.  Perfectly done in the middle with a smoke ring all around.  Took about 2 1/2 hours.

Will do this again.  Took it to the office on Monday with some hoagie rolls and Stubbs Sauce and they devoured it!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

Comments

• mjrodney
    mjrodney Posts: 16
    Options

For some reason, I'm having a tough time with meatloaf.

Either it falls apart on the cutting board (minimal mixing of the beef during preparation) or super dense (.i.e., cement, mixing the beef until it turns into something suitable for sculpture).

Can anyone help me with a recipe and MIXING INSTRUCTIONS that will help me produce a tender meatloaf suitable for sandwiches in the morning?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Is that a bourbon and coke?  That's my main poison.  That and this forum as of recently.  The meatloaf looks delicious too!

Haven't done meatloaf yet, but I will.  I'm just thawing out a center cut loin right now so I can brine and try the Canadian bacon recipe.  I have to be careful or I'll have a refrigerator full of leftovers and I hate to waste good food....
    Options
    amazing what the KISS method of cooking will turn out....i would buy a sandwich from you....Congrats on your cook and your pics!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

-mjrodney

we use the following recipe that i borrowed from onelikearock and has a thread from not very long ago....this one works!!!!!

Mickey said:

Very nice. What did you put in it?

1 1/2 lb ground chuck, 3 slices of crumbled bread, medium sweet onion, 4 oz of graded sharp cheese, 1/2 cup finely graded carrot, salt, pepper, 1 egg and 2/3 cup milk.  Topping:1 Tbls mustard, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar.

Chesapeake, VA

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Golfanatic
    Golfanatic Posts: 33
    Options
    Looks great! Gonna try this soon.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Is that a bourbon and coke?  That's my main poison.  That and this forum as of recently.  The meatloaf looks delicious too!

Haven't done meatloaf yet, but I will.  I'm just thawing out a center cut loin right now so I can brine and try the Canadian bacon recipe.  I have to be careful or I'll have a refrigerator full of leftovers and I hate to waste good food....
    That is definitely a bourbon and Diet Coke.  Having to watch the waistline with all this cooking!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX