Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A lil help please - Birthday cook for my boy's party

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

I'm doing brisket and pulled pork for my lil man's party.  I originally planned on doing two briskets and a pork butt for my boy's party, but our venue is now 100 miles away so our head count will be around 25.

The briskets were likely going to be 13# and the butt between 9-10#.  Is that a ridiculous amount of meat?  These folks will be staying overnight at the lake house so it will likely be munched on more than once.

Thoughts?
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You could feed 100 people on that (although butts go further than briskets). 

You could do 1 butt and feed everyone twice if you have other sides. Are you cooking it at the venue or taking from home? If taking from home, skip the brisket and do 2 butts (much more forgiving to reheat and hold etc). If you are doing it there and want to show off your mad brisket skills, do 1 of each. Serve the brisket when it's done for dinner and serve the butt as the next days' meal

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    Options
    I'm cooking at home and will immediately drive down to the lake house after I foil and cool them.  I like the idea of two butts but I kinda want to do brisket too.  I imagine I could get a bigger brisket and drop the 2nd one.  Thoughts?

Do you think there is a major benefit with choice CAB over straight up choice? 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm cooking at home and will immediately drive down to the lake house after I foil and cool them.  I like the idea of two butts but I kinda want to do brisket too.  I imagine I could get a bigger brisket and drop the 2nd one.  Thoughts?

Do you think there is a major benefit with choice CAB over straight up choice? 
    I've had great luck with CAB and the all natural choice from HEB. The last natural choice I did was one of the best I have ever done. Whole Foods also does "choice or above" for theirs and I killed one of those this week too. It was awesome but they tend to run a little smaller (9-10lb). Whole foods is $4 per lb so they are a little higher. CAB is usually $3-$3.50 and natural choice at HEB is usually around $3. They are all very good.

Any chance you can FTC the brisket and serve it warm that night when you get to the lake? Reheated brisket gets squirrely on me. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex-only reheated brisket.... :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex-only reheated brisket.... :)>-
    Yeah- I haven't tried a whole one but they are so finicky that I would avoid it- especially if it was my first shot at showing off for the family. Pulled pork all the way if it's got to be reheated (for me anyway)

• cazzy
    edited July 2012
    Options
    The plan all along was to FTC the brisket and butt and serve them together when I get to the lake house. About a two hour drive. I'll pull em off and get on the road immediately. Another thing that is going to be important is timing to make sure they're done close to the same time. Easier said than done in sure.
  • cazzy
    Options
    This is going to be fun! 2nd brisket and 1st butt. I'm confident enough in my abilities to know they're both going to be great!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    As you are aware, the timing will be the trick-and given you can hold each hunk of meat comfortably for 4-6 hours FTC'd- (with 2 hours consumed by the road trip) consider giving yourself plenty of time on the front-end to get them done without a scramble/crisis at the back-end to reach the finish-line.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    OK- I like that better. Timing is the issue but you can push either through if one gets done sooner than the other. The brisket will get destroyed at dinner and the butts will have leftovers which is perfect. 

You have a rig or something similar i presume?
  • cazzy
    Options
    OK- I like that better. Timing is the issue but you can push either through if one gets done sooner than the other. The brisket will get destroyed at dinner and the butts will have leftovers which is perfect. 

You have a rig or something similar i presume?
    I have a large with a rig and a small. I envisioned making the butt on the small since it takes up less surface (ie not as long as a packer). I got fans and proves for both so the Stoker will manage it all.
  • cazzy
    Options
    As you are aware, the timing will be the trick-and given you can hold each hunk of meat comfortably for 4-6 hours FTC'd- (with 2 hours consumed by the road trip) consider giving yourself plenty of time on the front-end to get them done without a scramble/crisis at the back-end to reach the finish-line.
    Yeah...I'm definitely hoping not to scramble. I'm also hoping they're not FTC'd for 4-6 hours. I'm hoping for 3-4 tops.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Keep us in the loop on this one. I'd love to watch this cook all the way through
  • cazzy
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Keep us in the loop on this one. I'd love to watch this cook all the way through
    Most definitely. I wouldn't have it any other way!! :)

Afterall, we're eggheads...we're never really in these cooks by ourselves!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    Cen...what rub do you use for your pork butts? I picked up some Butt Rub...do you recommend and/or like it?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen...what rub do you use for your pork butts? I picked up some Butt Rub...do you recommend and/or like it?
    <br/

Yep. I like it it but I use Dizzy Dust most of the time on butts. I have both on the shelf right now
  • cazzy
    Options

Hmmm...I just may use the coarse Dizzy Dust I have.  What kind of bark do you get with it and how much do you use?