Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping a 9.75 butt for a friends party tomorrow

Options
1235»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes, also remember I kept my egg at 225* the whole time.
    Which is fine but I got about 260 and it gets done a little faster. Either way is good but my egg likes to settle in a little higher and I don't use the stoker/digi-q type things
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Which is fine but I got about 260 and it gets done a little faster. Either way is good but my egg likes to settle in a little higher and I don't use the stoker/digi-q type things
    Right, I wanted him to remember I went a little lower than the norm bc I could with the stoker. My egg settles around 260 as well. Didnt want him to try 225 without a stoker and lose his fire.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Right, I wanted him to remember I went a little lower than the norm bc I could with the stoker. My egg settles around 260 as well. Didnt want him to try 225 without a stoker and lose his fire.
    good call. Mine will hold lower but it does not like to. I don't like doing it overnight for sure

• michigan_jason
    Options
    btw, I got the package from you. Thanks

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    btw, I got the package from you. Thanks
    Cool man. Appreciate the gasket. I'll put it on some time this week.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great looking cook!  I followed this thread closely as I'm doing a pork butt and 1-2 briskets this weekend for my boy's party.  

You confused me as you kept referring to your pit controller as a Stoker and I didn't know it was a digi-q until i saw the pics.  I'm a techie myself so I naturally was attracted to the Stoker's ability to control temps/alarms remotely from within or outside my network.  Love your workshop too...as someone stated...more organized than I would ever be. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options

If I read it right you guys are basically cooking at the same temp (well C-T will end up a bit higher-but 260 on the dome (C-T) works out to about 225 on the grid.  Just an observation and they are worth as much as opinions...

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

If I read it right you guys are basically cooking at the same temp (well C-T will end up a bit higher-but 260 on the dome (C-T) works out to about 225 on the grid.  Just an observation and they are worth as much as opinions...

I'm 250-260 grid lately and it works great for me (especially overnight)

• michigan_jason
    Options

I'm 250-260 grid lately and it works great for me (especially overnight)

</blockquote

My temps are 225 at grid. Per bbqguru digiq

• michigan_jason
    Options
    @cazzy

Thank you!

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Great, thanks to you both.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I have my dome thermo calibrated to read the same as my grid.