Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Pork Ribs

texasnative
texasnative Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have seen a lot of discussion on spare ribs, et. al.

Any cooking advice for country style pork ribs?

Thanks.

Comments

• They are not ribs. These are slices of pork shoulder (butt). cook them low and slow until they fall apart just like a shoulder. Why they call these ribs is beyond me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    centex

its a marketing gimmick to sell more butt

a country rib was origionally a loin cut from the country rib roast, sometimes sold as an end loin but its the end from the front off the hog with more fat and some darker meat, sometimes it still has some chine attached. what they sell in some areas is now butt, i never see that up here, i would have to ask to have it cut from butt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • "its a marketing gimmick to sell more butt"

That part I knew :)). the back story I did not. I'm sure they jack up the price because they call it ribs too. I never even look at the stuff because I knew it was just butt (in TX anyway). I bet you money it's an extra $1 per lb though (because they are ribs after all, right?)

• rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Yesterday I found a big pack of Country ribs For 7 bucks.  I had a buddy staying the night and I needed something to fix so I thought I would give them a try.  I marinaded them for a couple of hours thinking they would be a fast cook, then I read here that they needed to be low and slow, but I really didnt have the time.  I ended  up cooking them about 1 hour  45  min.  I cooked them direct around 300de. with a 325 to 350 finish.  They were phenomenal.  Everyone just went on and on about them.  This was one of the best cooks I've had.   I gave all the credit to the egg.
  • Yesterday I found a big pack of Country ribs For 7 bucks.  I had a buddy staying the night and I needed something to fix so I thought I would give them a try.  I marinaded them for a couple of hours thinking they would be a fast cook, then I read here that they needed to be low and slow, but I really didnt have the time.  I ended  up cooking them about 1 hour  45  min.  I cooked them direct around 300de. with a 325 to 350 finish.  They were phenomenal.  Everyone just went on and on about them.  This was one of the best cooks I've had.   I gave all the credit to the egg.
    Cool. Good to know. What did you marinate it in?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    yep, get more money
    :))

the front part of the loin was usually ground up but thats were country ribs come from and im sure ive seen you post this cut

first two inches or less of ribs cut off that section are riblets, you might see them selling neck bones and calling them riblets soon, those are not riblets

these are

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Yesterday I found a big pack of Country ribs For 7 bucks.  I had a buddy staying the night and I needed something to fix so I thought I would give them a try.  I marinaded them for a couple of hours thinking they would be a fast cook, then I read here that they needed to be low and slow, but I really didnt have the time.  I ended  up cooking them about 1 hour  45  min.  I cooked them direct around 300de. with a 325 to 350 finish.  They were phenomenal.  Everyone just went on and on about them.  This was one of the best cooks I've had.   I gave all the credit to the egg.
    Cool. Good to know. What did you marinate it in?

I used a soy sauce base with olive oil, tarragon vinegar emulsified with a little water.  I added some molasses  and a whole handful of fresh herbs from the garden: thyme, rosemary, savory, chives and oregano.  I might have thrown something else in there.  I usually just use what I have on hand.
  • Use a little Bad Byrons Butt Rub and some Southern Flavor on them. Add some Jack Millers BBQ sauce and let sit for an hour or so. Bring egg up to 325 or so direct and throw them on! Let cook for about 5 minutes then flip and baste with Jack Millers again and then let them do their thing! Great taste and a TON of flavor! Everyone loves them. Also really good with a spiced up Carolina Mustard sauce!
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    The first time the wife and I bought them they were .75 a pound. Then people started liking them and they went quickly up the scale in price.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    They are sliced butts here in NC as well. I've never tried them. If I want butt I'm getting a whole one and making pulled pork. Just my preference.