Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here comes football, here comes tailgate....one problem though

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
As a lions season ticket holder and a die hard tailgater, I have a dilemma.

As some of you may now from a previous post, my wife wants me to get another egg. (yes I know she is great!)

She also wants to build an outdoor kitchen. That is besides the point though. On to my problem.

She wants a slightly smaller one for smaller cooks, and to compliment the XL we have. Cool we settled on a medium or large. NOW, after getting said medium or large, should I still get a small for taking with me to tailgate? Will a small me too well...small for tailgate?

That was problem/question 1, now the big problem....

How in the world am I supposed to get this thing cooled prior to heading into the game so I can throw it in the navigator? When I had the crappy chargriller smokin pro duo half gasser half coal with a smoker box, I just towed my trailer and left it on there as no one would steal it lol. I will not leave an egg out there as it is Detroit after all! LOL.

I typically will cook and try to serve by 11-11:30 latest as we head in at 12:30, but we all know how long it takes to get an egg cool.

Do you guys tailgate with the egg? If so, how do you cool it?

Thanks and go LIONS!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    edited July 2012
    Good morning. I'm moving back to Sarasota in a month and my brother & I were discussing adding a Small for tailgating at Bucs games. We have the same problem...how to cool it down? We have 2 Weber Q's and 2 Max Buton burners which cool down quickly. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • michigan_jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Jason, when you figure this out let me know what you do....i have an xl, large and mini...would have to have two minis for the guys at the games (Cowboys)... I have been using an old charcoal grill for years..would like to take the BGE but there are definately some logisitics to overcome...if you are ever in Dallas let me know ahead of time and we will go to a game...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• michigan_jason
    Was going last year for lions cowboys... But it fell through. I will let you know.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Some guy on here said he pulls the coals out. He was talking on a glove thread.

What if you had a can and a scoop and emptied the egg. Lotta work but might do it. Best bet is going to be a trailer setup prolly.

XLBGE 
  • michigan_jason
    I am thinking more about what @hapster said. It makes sense. But for that matter, I may just be able to get a good size box and line it with some heat retardant material and shut the egg down one hour prior to leaving. One hour of cooling prior then into the box to cool in the navi. Now what size egg will suffice though. I think maybe a small will and I can do a few test runs prior to football season to see how long it takes to cool at what temps. Another good thing is that the temps outside will be cooler as well. Also like you said, I can remove the lump and suffocate it in a container (as we do with the fire pit we bring) 

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    I'm totally with you on this thread.  I've been wondering the same thing myself, except instead of tailgating I want to take it on the boat.  This way when pull up to a beach area, we can cook then pack it up when it's time to head home.

I know the easiest solution would be to cook everything at home on the egg.  Then reheat on a gasser/webber at the game/beach.

Here's a link to another thread discussing a carrier solution.

Watching this thread for inspiration :)

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • michigan_jason
    Yea, I considered that for about 2 minutes. The EGG WILL BE AT TAILGATE! That is my mission for this year. I have seen brinkman smokers weber smokers, never an egg. Mini will be too small, so I will go look at small and medium today. Maybe bring one home.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    yes watching my mini take over an hour to cool down makes me think its not possible. i always try to salvage charcoal, what if u pull the coals and leave it open does it cool faster?
    Seattle, WA
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Yea, I considered that for about 2 minutes. The EGG WILL BE AT TAILGATE! That is my mission for this year. I have seen brinkman smokers weber smokers, never an egg. Mini will be too small, so I will go look at small and medium today. Maybe bring one home.
    I looked at the mini and the small a few weeks ago side by side.  If I was going that route, I would probably get the mini.  Size wise (grate), there is not that much of a difference. It would all depend on the best deal.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • michigan_jason
    yes watching my mini take over an hour to cool down makes me think its not possible. i always try to salvage charcoal, what if u pull the coals and leave it open does it cool faster?
    Yes it certainly will. This is how I think I will make it happen...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it'll cool during the game.  for those times when it doesn't, simple application of fearlessness and cajones, along with water, does the trick for me

did this at an eggfest too, in a new large. i got better stuff to do than stand around waiting for a damn grill to cool :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • michigan_jason
    You are crazy.... i dont think that is a good idea...lol

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I would empty the coals, into the coals trash, as soon as done cooking, and leave lid open.. it will cool down relatively fast in detroit fall/winter.
  • michigan_jason
    also i am not concerned with during the game, I am concerned with putting it in the back of a navigator when it is not cool yet. I want it secured before I go into the game.

• TigerRVer
    TigerRVer Posts: 27
    It's not an Egg, but what about a Steel Keg? It's made to transport on a trailer hitch. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002SN9LTI
  • BYS1981
    If he wants to spend 800$, id spend it on the egg trailer attachment.
  • stike
    edited July 2012
    read line one.
    it will cool down.

before going in the game you can shovel out the lump if you want. your egg is not going to be 400 degrees on the exterior after sitting empty following a football game.  if you want to eat after the game, you can still yank the lump out and leave it open.

you aren';t the first guy to take an egg to a football game, and no one has ever sat there til four in the morning waiting for the egg to cool off.

fwiw, i heard first hand that during testing, that eggs have been stoked to 1800+ dome temps (with leafblowers or shop vacs or whatever) and then doused with ice cold water.

it wouldn't be possible for it to explode, since ceramic would contract.  but in any case, it had no effect on the shell or the inner components.

just buy the egg, and enjoy the damn game.

:))

you can also set it in something, to insulate further, if you are still worried.  use the feet, rake out the coals, leave it open, and have a damn beer (or seven)
  • michigan_jason
    read line one.
    it will cool down.

before going in the game you can shovel out the lump if you want. your egg is not going to be 400 degrees on the exterior after sitting empty following a football game.  if you want to eat after the game, you can still yank the lump out and leave it open.

you aren';t the first guy to take an egg to a football game, and no one has ever sat there til four in the morning waiting for the egg to cool off.

fwiw, i heard first hand that during testing, that eggs have been stoked to 1800+ dome temps (with leafblowers or shop vacs or whatever) and then doused with ice cold water.

it wouldn't be possible for it to explode, since ceramic would contract.  but in any case, it had no effect on the shell or the inner components.

just buy the egg, and enjoy the damn game.

you can also set it in something, to insulate further, if you are still worried.  use the feet, rake out the coals, leave it open, and have a damn beer (or seven)
    I am not worried about it being cool after the game lol. Just when I cook and have it up to 700 to sear some steaks at 10am. Then needing to place the egg inside the truck an hour later. I have never removed the lump from my egg after a cook, but know that the outside is hot to touch after a few hours let alone one. After the game I just cook hot dogs or brats so the little table top propane will do for that.

• stike
    edited July 2012
    put it in the truck an hour later?

chain through the hinge, chain thru your wheel.  done.

don't overthink this.  not everyone in the world is going to be eying your egg waiting to streal it.  if they do, they'll have the problem of carrying your hot egg and putting it in their car.

seriously, there are pantloads of eggs used at football games all over the country.  you wanted some ideas, you got them.  if you are still concerned, i would suggest not buying a bge, and going with a metal cooker.  they work fine.  i just had the bge, and it made sense to bring it.

i don't even chain it up any more. 

TIL: based on the few questions i have replied to this morning, i guess i am among the very few who just don't have the time to worry about stuff....
    :)
  • read line one.
    it will cool down.

just buy the egg, and enjoy the @#!*% game.

you can also set it in something, to insulate further, if you are still worried.  use the feet, rake out the coals, leave it open, and have a @#!*% beer (or seven)
    I am not worried about it being cool after the game lol. Just when I cook and have it up to 700 to sear some steaks at 10am. Then needing to place the egg inside the truck an hour later. I have never removed the lump from my egg after a cook, but know that the outside is hot to touch after a few hours let alone one. After the game I just cook hot dogs or brats so the little table top propane will do for that.
    It's hot for that long because you have the dome closed to snuff out the remaining coals and it continues to heat the ceramic for hours. Leave the dome open when you are done cooking and all the heat will dissipate much more quickly. Also, the lump bed in an XL is 3X-4X that of a med . You can cool a small or medium down quickly with the lid open if the lump is either burned through or removed. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    put it in the truck an hour later?

chain through the hinge, chain thru your wheel.  done.

don't overthink this.  not everyone in the world is going to be eying your egg waiting to streal it.  if they do, they'll have the problem of carrying your hot egg and putting it in their car.

seriously, there are pantloads of eggs used at football games all over the country.  you wanted some ideas, you got them.  if you are still concerned, i would suggest not buying a bge, and going with a metal cooker.  they work fine.  i just had the bge, and it made sense to bring it.

i don't even chain it up any more. 

TIL: based on the few questions i have replied to this morning, i guess i am among the very few who just don't have the time to worry about stuff....
    :)
    People who cant steal it (drunk idoits..) may break it then.

The Cen-Tex Smoker

now that makes sense... I will just get a small/med and not try to snuff out the coals.

• michigan_jason
    edited July 2012

• BYS1981
    Don't worry about drunk idiots, those guys will be inside practicing/warming up. Lol!
  • michigan_jason
    Yea, @stike is right about not worrying, It is detroit though, and the bums fight over empty beer cans...

• stike
    edited July 2012
    well.  i have taken the thing to patriots games and never had it smashed, burn my car, or get stolen.  your results may vary.

aside from the easy and obvious ways i and a few others suggested to keep it cool, safe, and enjoyable, i am out of ideas, and would suggest saving the money by not buying a small and spending it on better seats

someone could see it in your truck and smash the window, too.  just saying.

if you are looking for ways to pull it off, there are many.  if you are looking for reasons to not do it, you have plenty of those, too.

some folks chain these in their yards.  there's no end to the  imaginary nefarious ends which these eggs might come too.  cannot guard against all of them. 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    I love my egg but for tailgating it is just easier for me to haul my Margaritaville tailgate grill.  I'm usually ripped by time to go in and the last thing I need is to be handling hot coals or relying on my good judgement to make sure the fire is out or my grill is secure.  I lock the Margaritaville grill on the hitch before my judgement is impaired and am good to go.  I miss the quality of the food from the egg but the quality of the bourbon seems to compensate for the loss.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• michigan_jason
    well.  i have taken the thing to patriots games and never had it smashed, burn my car, or get stolen.  your results may vary.

aside from the easy and obvious ways i and a few others suggested to keep it cool, safe, and enjoyable, i am out of ideas, and would suggest saving the money by not buying a small and spending it on better seats

someone could see it in your truck and smash the window, too.  just saying.

if you are looking for ways to pull it off, there are many.  if you are looking for reasons to not do it, you have plenty of those, too.

some folks chain these in their yards.  there's no end to the  imaginary nefarious ends which these eggs might come too.  cannot guard against all of them. 
    Agreed, I will just bring it, and chain it to my receiver/hitch.

I am already on the 50 yard line lower level so better seats are not an option unless I go club level, and I have had those too, I don't like them.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I think your gonna want the medium. That's what I'd get. Size different isn't enough to detour travel but get more room to cook.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My large :)

XLBGE 
  • michigan_jason
    Hell maybe i get a large then. In a way I want one of each to have a little family you know?