Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping a 9.75 butt for a friends party tomorrow

Comments

• I am at 195 right now, probe slides like butter on the left side of the butt, however not so much on the right side... I am leaving her in for a little longer... thoughts?

John....??????????? :):D

Actually, I just popped on the second that came up :)

It won't dry out the rest. Just give it 5 more degrees then pull it off.

Leave it until it's done everywhere
    I knew you were lurking.... :)

wont that make my area that is already done overcooked?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    very informative post...thanks... LOL

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Yessir! Will do, I figured, hence " I am leaving her in for a little longer..."

I will take pics at the party and update this post later, but for now friends, I must prepare for my voyage!

Updates to come!

Jason

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Enjoy the party.
  • michigan_jason
    For sure, I am out of here, boat ride and party with pics of the cook to come!

CHEERS ALL!

J

• Sounds like a great day. I'm headed to the pool then to the boat Tomorrow.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Get lots of Butt pictures please! :)
  • michigan_jason
    Lol...lookup muscamoot bay lake St Clair...or nooner. Every weekend here....lol

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Did I mess up,  I definitely could have!  I did everything everyone said, and I was using a cheap thermo with just 1 probe, 2 butts.  So I probed the smaller one.  Then moved the thermo to the larger one and it was cooking faster, so left it there.  I was in the stall for hours and as time ticked away, missed lunch, I went and moved the probe to the back of the butt (ok that sounds weird)  that is when I found that the temp to be 195 or 200. 

Was it the cheap themo? could be
    Was it my inexperience?  Sure
    Did I pull the butt off too early?  Could have

Did it pull, yup, was it good yup, plan on doing another soon!  

I do like the convenience and idea of the pit controllers though!

• Did I mess up,  I definitely could have!  I did everything everyone said, and I was using a cheap thermo with just 1 probe, 2 butts.  So I probed the smaller one.  Then moved the thermo to the larger one and it was cooking faster, so left it there.  I was in the stall for hours and as time ticked away, missed lunch, I went and moved the probe to the back of the butt (ok that sounds weird)  that is when I found that the temp to be 195 or 200. 

Was it the cheap themo? could be
    Was it my inexperience?  Sure
    Did I pull the butt off too early?  Could have

Did it pull, yup, was it good yup, plan on doing another soon!  

I do like the convenience and idea of the pit controllers though!

Nothing out of the ordinary there. sometimes the big ones can cook faster per lb for sure. 195-200 is perfect so no harm no foul?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

@ LizzieSamps-One measure of success (and weighted heavily in my book) is the reception of the food by those eating.  As you wander this BGE journey you will find that you will quickly become (if not already) your harshest critic-good for challenging yourself to improve-but the lense you are looking through is much different than that of the consumers.

All that hot air aside-why would you think you messed up-"Did it pull, yup, was it good yup, plan on doing another soon! "   Sounds like a huge success story-and right out of the gate-Don't look back-somethin' might be gainin on ya-Stachel Paige.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @ LizzieSamps-One measure of success (and weighted heavily in my book) is the reception of the food by those eating.  As you wander this BGE journey you will find that you will quickly become (if not already) your harshest critic-good for challenging yourself to improve-but the lense you are looking through is much different than that of the consumers.

All that hot air aside-why would you think you messed up-"Did it pull, yup, was it good yup, plan on doing another soon! "   Sounds like a huge success story-and right out of the gate-Don't look back-somethin' might be gainin on ya-Stachel Paige.

and there you have it
  • Good luck...I find every long smoke has its own challenges just like brewing.  It is not whether you have a problem but how you react WHEN you have a problem.

Man I love BBQ.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Just got back from almost 8 hours on the lake. Glad everything turned out great, can't wait to see the pics!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • michigan_jason
    So here are a few pics from the party. This was by far the best butt I have even cooked! The party had 100pieces of fried chicken ordered for the main meal, and my pork was gone within 30minutes and the chicken was not even touched!

I have never received so many compliments. Also there were 2 different guys there that compete in BBQ regularly and both of them use large stick burners pulled behind their trucks, likewise both of them told me they have never eaten pulled pork that measures to what I served them.

As humble as I could be, I told them it was the egg, not me. They both said they will be buying one soon!

Thanks all.

• Ha! That's got to feel good. Nice job.............and all on your own too.
  • michigan_jason
    I must say, this was also by far the most moist pork I have ever had. Cooked by myself, others, and in restaurants. I will be injecting from now on.

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Awesome. Who wants fried crap when you can have something from the egg. Good job. Next time you will have to cook two I guess.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Congrats, it's a nice feeling watching the food you've created disappear.  I'm surprised the competition guys didn't ask you to join the team!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • JWBurns
    Looks like you nailed it Jason! Great work. Was there a bone in that Butt?

Can you give us a summary of the cook? Like, I know you put it on the egg at 11pm, but what time did you pull, how long did it stay in the cooler, how many people did it feed?
  • michigan_jason
    It was bone in, cooked from 11pm till 3pm, I pulled it off the grill at 198-203 checked with thermapen, multiple spots and that range of internal temps. Probe slid like butter. Wrapped it in heavy duty foil and used about a whole roll lol. My wife coupon shops and got like 50 rolls of heavy duty and the store actually paid her to take them so that was cool. Towel and cooler and off to the party. It was in the cooler for about 3.5hours before I took it out to serve. Got my bear claws and added some stubbs and went to town. As soon a people caught wind of the pork coming out to be served I had a line of over 20 waiting as I pulled it. It fed about 40 people, including one VEGAN/VEGETARIAN that will only eat meat once or twice a year (she came back for seconds too lol.)

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Thats awesome! Great job! I look forward to the day my pp can turn a vegan!
  • michigan_jason
    Thanks a lot man! You know the feeling when you watch people eat what you serve and you don't have to ask them if they thought it was good? That is the payoff right there!

• Thanks a lot man! You know the feeling when you watch people eat what you serve and you don't have to ask them if they thought it was good? That is the payoff right there!
    My wife was veggie for 9 years before I got my egg. She came back to the dark side first brisket. It's been all bliss since :)

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Great thread. I'm doing a monster butt (10lbs+) for our 1 yr olds bday party, about 40 ppl. May try injecting for the 1st time.
  • JWBurns
    Jason - Got a newbie question for you.

Would the cook times be similar on say, a 5lb butt?

I'm considering cooking one this weekend, but there's no way I'd have enough people over to devour one the size you cooked.

Also, when you sauced. Did you mix it all in when your shredded the butt, or did you let people sauce on their own?
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Jason - Got a newbie question for you.

I'm considering cooking one this weekend, but there's no way I'd have enough people over to devour one the size you cooked.

Also, when you sauced. Did you mix it all in when your shredded the butt, or did you let people sauce on their own?
    I used a small amount of sauce (stubbs) but not an overwhelming amount as I pulled it, this way I made it all taste good to me... I also made slaw you see next to it and got sweet Hawaiian hoagie buns, each person who noticed that the slaw was there to go on the sandwiches added it then a sauce of their choice.

Go ahead and do a butt this weekend.....lol and after you should cook a pork butt.

Joking aside, it is not hard to get good... after this one, I feel I have perfected my strategy, and will continue with the new method I used this last time.

• Jason - Got a newbie question for you.

I used a small amount of sauce (stubbs) but not an overwhelming amount as I pulled it, this way I made it all taste good to me... I also made slaw you see next to it and got sweet Hawaiian hoagie buns, each person who noticed that the slaw was there to go on the sandwiches added it then a sauce of their choice.

Go ahead and do a butt this weekend.....lol and after you should cook a pork butt.

Joking aside, it is not hard to get good... after this one, I feel I have perfected my strategy, and will continue with the new method I used this last time.
    the time per lb will be similar but it will be done much sooner. I would count on 7-8 hours (maybe a little less) to get your 5 pounder done
  • michigan_jason
    Yes, also remember I kept my egg at 225* the whole time.