Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My home-made egg table - pecky cypress

2»

Comments

• psalzerpsalzer Posts: 106
    That is some beautiful wood, and great craftsmanship ... !!!!!
    ·
  • RekxRekx Posts: 9
    your manbearcave is incredible.
    ·
  • Beautiful table and an inspiration to us who are the "do it yourself types." I just bought my first bge Sunday and went with the standard nest due to space limitations on my deck. But if I ever expand, I intend on building my own wooden table. Your's looks like the perfect guide to use in that project.

Good job!
    BGE Large and Weber side gas grill
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,481
    Thanks! 

I was thinking a shortcut to putting together a table similar to the design I used would be to pick up a heavy duty dining or kitchen table, cut down the height and add the bottom shelf to support the egg, cut a hole in the top and slap some spar varnish on it.

Maybe start with something similar to this: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12440708

·
  • RajunCajunRajunCajun Posts: 195

Very nice table indeed.  I have been trying to figure out how I am going to cut the hole...and one of your photos explained that for me.  Mine will be more of a cabinet style with drawers and a door for storing my lump.  What type of flashlight is that you have?  I like that idea.

Thanks,

Rajuncajun.................Geaux Saints

·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 562
    nice work!  i like the table!
    ·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299
    Total envy for that shop/cave. I have a humidor that could be the same as yours, also like the outdoor camera setup if that it what I am seeing. I have a 16 channel setup on my home, only 8 cameras right now, but all infrared and weatherproof.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
    Thanks!   I love my manbearcave...  I have a 3 camera wireless in the shop, and a 4 camera hardwired in the house. 

Flashlight - I'm a flashaholic, have lots of flashlights.  My advice - never buy a flashlight with more than one LED.  I buy lights that only run on 18650 Lithium ion batteries - laptop batteries.  Same battery they use in the Tesla. 

Great place to buy flashlights - dealextreme.com and http://www.fenix-store.com/

Get an 18650 charger. 

I bought microphone goosnecks from Amazon to hold the lights on tools, egg table, etc.

The light on my egg table was from deal extreme, and I think cost about $14.  About 180 lumen.  Generic chinese, but with a Cree LED.

·
  • RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
    Looks awesome!!!
    ·
    What did you use as a finish...it looks beautiful?
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,711
    VERY NICE table, it really stand out. Good Job
    ·
    What did you use as a finish...it looks beautiful?
    Soaked the top with West Marine epoxy, sanded it, then gave everything a few coats of Helmsman satin spar polyurethane.  Wipes clean just like a granite top.  The epoxy makes the surface extremely hard - it soaks into the wood.  Cypress is a soft wood, like cedar.  Normally I like the "distress" normal wear gives cypress...but for the sake of a work surface in a hostile environment, I pulled out all the stops.

I used polyester resin to fill in the pecky cavities...also, some with epoxy.

·
    Thanks.  What type of epoxy did you use?  Not familiar with the West Marine epoxys.  Did you use epoxy on the whole thing or just the top?  Did you spray or brush?
    ·
    Actually, I referred to it as West Marine, 'cause that's what everyone is familiar with.  Same chemistry, but I used Aeromarine epoxy:

http://www.amazon.com/AeroMarine-300-Epoxy-Resin-Gallon/dp/B0047R2C9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341895780&sr=8-2&keywords=marine+epoxy

It has the viscosity of light vegetable oil.  I brushed it on.  Just did the top, since it's the "wear" surface.  I was going to apply to everything, but that would have taken a few more days.  Mixed 2:1 resin/hardener and painted it on with a brush.  Saturate the wood.  Also, I used the same stuff with some micro bubbles as the glue for all the floating tenon joints.  Super, super strong, much harder than the wood, and surpasses all white wood glues.

Anyway, after it hardens, then next day I sand it down using a DA sander (Festool RO 150).  Then applied the spar varnish.

The top is about as hard as rock maple.  It wipes clean like granite.  Should last a lifetime as long as I keep it covered.  It can handle being wet, it's really the UV radiation that would eventually degrade the spar varnish, and then the epoxy would yellow.  Same chemistry that's used on wood boats, kayaks, etc.

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Great looking table! I like the microphone goosenecks, might be a good option to mount on my pergola... :-?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • GBCGBC Posts: 58
    You can see a couple of the flashlight/goosneck apparatuses in this pic of my manbearcave.

Nolaegghead, I am envious of your manbearcave!
    ·
    @GBC - thanks man!   Might be fun to start a "show us your mancave" thread one of these days.  Mine will be sure to induce epileptic attacks.

·
  • stranny00stranny00 Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    What are the dimensions of the top? Is it glued 2x6 or 2x8?
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 637
    I'm gonna go home and throw rocks at my table.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,375

I'm gonna go home and throw rocks at my table.

Don't do that, you might hit your egg!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • JaredMDJaredMD Posts: 59
    Gorgeous table, and an awesome manbearcave!  I really love the use of reclaimed wood, it gives such a unique look to the table..
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
    ·