Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever cook tuna steaks in the egg?

allitnils
allitnils Posts: 109
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've a menu idea involving seared tuna with a sesame and chai seed crust, and wanted to know if anyone has experiences searing tuna in the egg.
Keep in mind that I only have the oem porcelain coated grill, so I'll probably be using my cast iron griddle pan, but I've a feeling that the temperatures I could get it in the egg would be beneficial in this instance.

Anyway. All suggestions and advise will be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    I did some fresh tuna steaks for the first time last week and they were one of the best things I've had on the egg.  I used the my spider and cast iron grill in the lower position.  Just a little sea salt and pepper, they were really good but I probably cooked them a little too long but they earned a spot in my rotation.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• allitnils
    should be interesting to make without a spider - perhaps I'll do it in the griddle pan simply resting on the fire box..
    I have one of these:
    so it might just fit......
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited July 2012
    If you just want to sear the outside....I know this isn't eggcentric, but.....
    The last time i made tuna I used an Alton Brown technique. I loaded up my chimney starter, got it looking like a ram jet exhaust, put a grid on top and seared for literally seconds per side.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • I've done them both ways, grilled and pan seared. I prefer the pan seared at lava temps. Rub wasabi paste one each side and push into white and black sesame seeds. Sear for 30 or so seconds per side
  • I've done them both ways, grilled and pan seared. I prefer the pan seared at lava temps. Rub wasabi paste one each side and push into white and black sesame seeds. Sear for 30 or so seconds per side
    same

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    I've done mine in a cast iron fry pan in the egg.  Get the pan really hot and sear for about 30 seconds a side.
  • allitnils
    sounds perfect, thanks to all for the advise. I'll be sure to come back with some pictures of the finished product. :D 

..though I doubt I'd be using wasabi paste. I hate the stuff. :P
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have not, but I plan on doing seared tuna very soon. I have dine it on my gasser and will do similar, meaning I plan on lubricating the grid at least 5 times.
  • allitnils
    I have not, but I plan on doing seared tuna very soon. I have dine it on my gasser and will do similar, meaning I plan on lubricating the grid at least 5 times.
    really?
    I find if you get it hot enough it won't stick to it..... At least in the stove top .. and with the temperatures achieved in the egg I figure it'd be basically the same..
    In any case, the plans are to make some this Saturday, so would love to swap stories if you managed to get some done in the near future..
  • BYS1981
    edited July 2012
    Well, I am going off old gasser recipe from cooks illustrated. I am mostly concerned with temp and times.. I like rare tuna, and don't want to ruin some good fish.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Depends on temp and quality of tuna.  We used to sear stovetop castiron with salt, pepper, fivespice, and some other things.  The gf likes it medium so finished in the oven.  Now that I live in CA and have an egg, want to get higher quality fish and just sear on egg.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I've done it on the cast iron grate. Got the egg up to about 700° or so, and search the steaks on each side for 30 sec or thereabouts. I oiled the grate once, but like you said...if it's hot enough, food wont stick. I may try a cast iron pan on the egg sometime though...just to see if there's any difference.
  • BYS1981
    Depends on temp and quality of tuna.  We used to sear stovetop castiron with salt, pepper, fivespice, and some other things.  The gf likes it medium so finished in the oven.  Now that I live in CA and have an egg, want to get higher quality fish and just sear on egg.
    I will be using sashimi grade.. few good places with that quality, one off 1, mt. Diablo foods, and sams club if they have summer roadshows.
  • allitnils
    I will be using sashimi grade.. few good places with that quality, one off 1, mt. Diablo foods, and sams club if they have summer roadshows.
    I'm always skeptical when I hear the term "sashimi grade".. I don't know how it's controlled in the US, but in Australia there's no such thing as "sashimi grade tuna.." 
    Thankfully I have a Japanese fish monger near where I live that brings in (from time to time - not often) the most decadent loins of bluefin tuna.. Don't know if they're in season or not though, so I might have to get some yellowfin, which if the quality is good, will be great I'm sure.. 
    Unfortunately though I don't buy/cook with/eat tuna often enough to be able to spot the difference between good fresh tuna and tuna that shouldn't be eaten raw by just looking at it..
    So I suppose I'll have to trust the "sashimi grade" signs hovering over the tuna steaks.. :S
  • I will be using sashimi grade.. few good places with that quality, one off 1, mt. Diablo foods, and sams club if they have summer roadshows.
    I'm always skeptical when I hear the term "sashimi grade".. I don't know how it's controlled in the US, but in Australia there's no such thing as "sashimi grade tuna.." 
    Thankfully I have a Japanese fish monger near where I live that brings in (from time to time - not often) the most decadent loins of bluefin tuna.. Don't know if they're in season or not though, so I might have to get some yellowfin, which if the quality is good, will be great I'm sure.. 
    Unfortunately though I don't buy/cook with/eat tuna often enough to be able to spot the difference between good fresh tuna and tuna that shouldn't be eaten raw by just looking at it..
    So I suppose I'll have to trust the "sashimi grade" signs hovering over the tuna steaks.. :S
    You can eat any of it raw, just some's better than others :)

It's not that regulated but it is graded 1++ down to 3. the 3 goes to the cannery, the 1++,  1+, and 1's are "sashimi grade" and the 2 range is more restaurant/grocery store stuff. It's regulated by buyers as much as anything else. Buyers bid up the prices on the best fish and the rest goes to the masses. It works.

I've eaten plenty of 2 grade tuna as sushi even at home and it was good. There is definitely a difference in the real good stuff though. 

We used to fly tuna in every week(back in my retail food/restaurant days) from Hawaii (Honolulu Fish Co) and they had buyers on the docks and would send photos of the fish coming off the boat (allegedly). It was fun and we bought all kinds from them. They were always right on the money with what they told us it was so something is keeping them honest. We bought it off the dock auction on Wed and Friday morning, it was at my door in insulated FedEx packs still on ice. Pretty cool.

• BYS1981
    I asked Chris Kimball, chef/owner of cooks illustrated, what temp previous recipe was since it just said "hot", and he said 400 degrees, i am planning 600ish.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    edited July 2012
    i marinade it a few hours in fish sauce lime, garlic and cilantro, it partially cooks the exterior. then onto a hot grill for a quick sear. served with a dipping sauce of fish sauce lime cilantro sugar, soy, and thai peppers. its different, seared, ceviche, raw tuna and the fish sauce really goes well with it. only problem in newengland is that you have to serve it in the dark for anyone to eat uncooked red raw fish

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Raw saltwater fish is fairly safe to eat.  Generally, you should freeze it for at least 24 hours to kill the most common parasites (flukes, tapeworm, roundworm).  The top-of-the-foodchain species are going to have methyl mercury, not much you can do about that except eat in moderation, lest you become a thermometer.
  • Raw saltwater fish is fairly safe to eat.  Generally, you should freeze it for at least 24 hours to kill the most common parasites (flukes, tapeworm, roundworm).  The top-of-the-foodchain species are going to have methyl mercury, not much you can do about that except eat in moderation, lest you become a thermometer.
    Yep- Most people don't realize that even the best sushi in the world is flash frozen before eaten. It's against the law in may places but most just won't take the risk. The best commercially caught sushi that comes to the US is all portioned out in perfect 8oz fillets, cryo packed and blast frozen within hours of being caught.

In WI, we had to file a HAACP plan with the state ensuring that we froze any fish before selling as sushi (whatever that means). We brought in fresh whole fish weekly but had to freeze some if we did sushi for a catering or whatever. People howled when/if we told them it was frozen but then they would go to the sushi place up the street and happily gobble down the same stuff :)

I ate mine fresh and never had a problem FWIW

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have some friends that go tuna fishing here in the gulf and they'll carve a chunk of tuna flesh out of a freshly caught yellow tail and chow down on it - they'll stock some soy sauce and wasabi on the boat for that reason.  I hear tuna makes a bloody mess out of your boat.
  • I have some friends that go tuna fishing here in the gulf and they'll carve a chunk of tuna flesh out of a freshly caught yellow tail and chow down on it - they'll stock some soy sauce and wasabi on the boat for that reason.  I hear tuna makes a bloody mess out of your boat.
    We did the same thing in our kitchen but we didn't serve it to the public that way. I loved it, but didn't want to risk my business by not following the law so we froze what we served as "sushi". Funny thing is, you didn't have to freeze what you quick seared and left raw in the middle so really, it was just red tape and not really protecting anyone in the end
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I have some friends that go tuna fishing here in the gulf and they'll carve a chunk of tuna flesh out of a freshly caught yellow tail and chow down on it - they'll stock some soy sauce and wasabi on the boat for that reason.  I hear tuna makes a bloody mess out of your boat.
    Been on several tuna trips out in the Atlantic, not my own boat, and yes it sure does make a bloody mess. The mates will take out the heart within seconds of getting it on board.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!