Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone ever cook rabbit?

piney
piney Posts: 1,478
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
A freind of mine wants me to cook tame rabbit, any ideas?
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I've cooked rabbit before but was before I got my egg.

I imagine could spatchcock? Or could do raised direct.
    Boom
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Spatchcock at about 300 sounds good
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    paella is traditionally done with rabbit, as steven mentioned.  here's my first paella ala Naked Whiz' method.  done with rabbit.

and about a year or so ago, in the fall, i did a rabbit with calvados and apples. 
    damned if i can't find the pic at the moment.  let's see if i can turn up the recipe:

(goes looking in his half-assed file system)
    ....aaaaaand that's a no.

i did find my old post at the other place (nearly impossible to search. ugh).  here's a link.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1000262&catid=1

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rabbit is most suited to a braise as sir stike mentions. Brining and a low and slow cook to do it alone. Light on added smoke as it is a pretty mild meat.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yeah. i did that calvados cook in a Dutch Oven (covered, braised i mean).

if i were to do it again, I'd just go very low with some smoke, cover off, for a while.  then cover and finish the braise.  i like smoke....

same for osso bucco.  i do it cover-off in the egg for a long time.  then to the finish line with the cover on
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yes, quite often. Here's a pic from a few years ago, shorty after I got my 1st Egg:
    [IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g57/gdenby/Rabbits2.jpg[/IMG]

That was pretty straight forward. Rubbed a little oil on the skinny suckers, and dusted w. S&P.  Good results, but left a lot to be desired.

My current method. Seperate the front and hind quarters from the loin/saddle section. Toss into a Ziploc with neutral oil and a bunch of herbs. I use sage and thyme. Oregano, basil, other work well. Use as you like. Put in a slow cooker set on "keep warm," or "low." After a few hours at 140 - 150 (depending on the cooker) the rabbit will be near falling apart.

Remove from bags, brush off any big pieces of herbs, and add salt. Onto the Egg, raised, direct, and sear. The front quarter pieces will be done in no time. The rest will probably need a few turns, but will be done fast. Serve w. a mustard sauce.

In between, here's what I did. Rabbit has almost no fat, and all the muscle is sheathed in silver skin. And it is rather bland. I found that if I pricked it all over with a sharp fork, and then marinated over night in buttermilk, or yogurt, or oil, that would soften the flesh just enough that a fast cook would make something tender, tasty, and not dry.

And, I got silly,and took a small carrot and put it into the body cavity, and toothpicked it shut thru the rib meat flaps. Not any more moist, but was a fun presentation.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This will wowrk in a Dutch Oven on BGE:
     Rabbit, Red Cabbaage, Hasenpfeffer

INGREDIENTS:  
    2 Whole    Rabbits, Cleaned  
    1 Cup    Vinegar  
    1/2 Cup    Water  
    1 1/2 Cups    Red Wine  
    2 Cups    Sliced Onions  
    2 Tsp    Salt or to taste  
    1 Tsp    black pepper or to taste  
    1 Tbs    Powdered Mustard seed  
    1 Tbs    Pickling Spices  
    2 Whole    Bay Leaves  
    4 Slices    Bacon  

Flour for coating  
    1/2 Stick    Butter/Margarine  

3 Tbs    Sugar  
    2 Tbs    Flour  
    2 Tbs    Butter  
    1 Cup    or more sour cream  
    Red Cabbage  
    2 Tbs    Bacon Drippings  
    4 Cups    Red Cabbage, Shredded  
    2 Cups    Apples, Unpared, Cubed  
    1/4 Cup    Brown Sugar  
    1/4 Cup    Vinegar  
    1/4 Cup    Water  
    1 1/4 Tsp    Salt  
    1/2 Tsp    Caraway seed  
    Dash    Pepper  

Procedure:
    1 Make marinade of vinegar, water, wine, onion, salt, pepper,
    mustard, pickling spices and bay leaves. Cut rabbits into serving pieces; cover
    with marinade and refrigerate for 2 days, turning several times.
    2 Remove from marinade; drain on paper towel. Shake in bag to
    coat with flour; brown in 1/2 stick butter.
    3 Put rabbit in casserole, pour marinade over. Lay strips of
    bacon across meat. Place in 300°F oven and bake for 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
    Put the meat on platter and keep warm.
    4 Add suger to the marinade and cook down to 2 cups. In a cup,
    mix 2 Tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons butter; add to marinade to thicken.
    Add sour cream; heat but do not boil. Pour over meat. Serve with noodles or
    potatoes, red cabbage and applesauce.
    Red Cabbage
    1 Heat drippings in skillet. Add remaining ingredients; cover
    tightly and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. For crisp cabbage, cook
    15 minutes; for tender cabbage, cook 25-30 minutes. Serves
    4-6

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source

Source: Florida Today