Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dangerous ABT's

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing burgers for supper, the Mrs, wanted ABT's for an appy. No problem, Left a few to many of those little seeds in there. Well when she bit into her first ABT, she was gasping and ran for milk. I gotta admit they were a little on the warm side. Had me going a bit. She wasn't impressed to say the least. Burgers turned out good though. A few posts back I wanted to play with Haberero's. That might have to be when she is away for a meal.
Lesson Learned. It was kind of fun to watch 
:D
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Options
    When I'm making ABTs or salsa my wife makes me sleep in the spare bedroom...Bought a $10 corer doodad from Williams Sonoma that really does a good job on ripping out the middle of the japalenos without having to slice them in two.  Still need to wash out the seeds though.  Found that a ziploc bag with the tip cut off makes it a lot more easy to fill the little suckers.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I plan on sneaking a harberno in a few for tailgates lol
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Love your Plan BYS1981. Be sure you know which killer ABT to hand to your buddy ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Options
    Most of the heat comes from the ribs or veins of the peppers not the seeds. If you don't want to much heat be sure to completely remove them and you should be ok
  • Little Steven
    Options
    When I'm making ABTs or salsa my wife makes me sleep in the spare bedroom...Bought a $10 corer doodad from Williams Sonoma that really does a good job on ripping out the middle of the japalenos without having to slice them in two.  Still need to wash out the seeds though.  Found that a ziploc bag with the tip cut off makes it a lot more easy to fill the little suckers.
    Too funny!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "Wer'e here to prep the atomic buffalo turds...."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Tyvek_Suits.jpg
    Options
    i grow jalapenos and those mofos were way too hot this year.  i soaked them in mellow yellow to take out the heat (supposed to use sprite but i didnt have any lol )
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    smokesniffer, the jalapenos have been hit and miss this year.  One batch I buy will be mild and the next batch will be hotter than a firecracker.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    I wish jalapenos were more consistent in heat.  I am on a big serrano kick right now for some reason.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    @ nolaegghead:

I've had to wear a mask when doing a couple of hundred jalapenos for canning...that link is too funny.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @ Ottawa Eggman I didn't realize that the veins or ribs carry more heat than the seeds. Thanks, that does make sense, this time I didn't core out all the rib. I did leave more seeds than normal though. Maybe a mixture of both eh? And as Austin said  hit and miss with the heat.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    San Marcos brand jalapenos - they're canned.  Pickled.  UNBELIEVABLE.  My brother and I would open a can like a jar of fine caviar when one or the other would visit, and we'd OD on them.  Damn capsicum - pepper spraying the GI tract isn't wise, one finds out the day after.  I think I need to try to make them atomic....hmmmm.