Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Woooo--hooo-, love this BGE thing

JohnMcJohnMc Posts: 76
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just did the most fantastic cook ever on my large BGE plus a medium BGE I stole from Craig's list.  I've only had these things for a short time, was ready to put them on EBay after the first screw ups but thank goodness didn't give up.  Unfortunately the only picture I have is one my wife took of me passed out on a lawn chair by the pool after martinis until 2 am, but none of the food. Take my word for it as a native Texan transplant to NC that I hit a home run.  Had a mob of guests for the holiday week and cooked two Boston butts about 8-9 lbs each, a 9 lb packer brisket, a 14 lb packer brisket, 2 x 5 lb Costco organic chickens in Soy/ginger marinade, 36 ABT's.  Sides (but not on the BGE) slaw for the pork, baked beans, burgers, dogs, a fantastic watermelon/fruit salsa (let me know if you want recipe) that was perfect with the meats, and lots of other stuff that just appeared.  Started out with 4 old friends, 5 neighbors and ended up with over 30 friends of friends including many I never met.  Went through a ton of gin, 2 cases of wine, and whatever else the interlopers needed to sate their livers.  Wife did a low country boil with just off the boat shrimp, clams, some sausage a friend brought from PA, local fresh corn & taters.  I've been playing with grills forever and never could have pulled this off with this quality with anything other than the BGE.  Can't believe how moist everything comes out compared to other methods. Sure glad I didn't toss them after the first aborted pizza and dried out chicken breasts.  So thankful that all you folks have posted advice, recipes, encouragement, etc that I've been reading for the past few months.  Thanks so much for the input and so glad to be a new BGE fanatic. I now have to learn to stay sober enough to take some pics after the meat is cooked...have lots before but who wants pictures of raw meat?

• LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Sounds like quite the feast, so glad you kept 'em/  Keep  it going and next time PICTURES!!
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,820
    you scored to find a used egg on craigs list. Nothing like that in my area. Glad you didn't get rid of the Egg. It gets better, keep on Egging.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,915
    Sounds like a food orgy worthy of Caligula. 
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

• Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    Very nice note to self get beer. 
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    Sounds like a blast and looks like you are getting the hang of it. Where in NC are you? Rolesville (near Raleigh) here. There are several people on this forum in NC. Welcome and happy egging.
  • JohnMcJohnMc Posts: 76
    Thanks NCBBQ, I'm in Holden Beach.  I think I saw something about a possible EggFest in RTP?  Would love to come if there is one as I'm only comfortable doing the slo & lo so far but need to get pointers on how to do higher temp cooks without fear of frying my gaskets.
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    There is one in Winston-Salem a little further west of RTP on August 25. Here is some info. As for the gaskets I've already fried mine and only had it about 2 months. They will send you a high temperature nomex one when you fry yours if you contact the mothership so I wouldn't let that stop me from firing her up. I figure if they don't want you to go up to 600+, don't put it on the thermometer.
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    Sounds like a food orgy worthy of Caligula. 
    Haha.  +1
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,506
    I think you should sell them- as I am in NC I guess I could take them off your hands.

Just kidding- glad it turned out well and I am full just reading the list of food you made... Nice work!

Greensboro, NC