Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last night's dinner.

allitnils
allitnils Posts: 109
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
After yesterday's lunch of slow cooked lamb shoulder, my girlfriend and I decided to head off for a walk. Wondering back to the markets, we walked past all the fish stalls and decided to pick up a couple of rock cod fillets, which looked extremely fresh and presented a bit of a challenge.
Knowing that the egg would still be warm, I thought it would be a perfect first-test to cooking fish.
So, picking up the fillets, as well as a couple of crayfish tails (which are extremely cheap at this time of the year), as well as a bag of fish bones for $2, we set for home.
The result:
Pan fried rock cod served on a bed of crayfish tails & roasted fish sauce.
And because I have a bottle of white truffle oil, I sprinkled some on top. :D

I was a bit worried about the added smoke that the egg would produce, but the cook was so quick, it was virtually non-existent.
For the fish soup, I simply added all the fish bones, a carrot, celery and pepper corns into a pressure cooker with a few cups of water and set it on high.
It was ready in about 15 minutes.
In the mean time, I pulled out my cast iron frying pan, set it in the egg, almost hovering over hot burning coals, added some oil and butter and pan fried the cod, while inside I steamed the crayfish on the heat of the soup while the cod cooked.

The whole dish was done in less than 20 minutes.
I ladled a couple of cups of soup onto each bowl, set the crayfish as a bed for the cod (I didn't want it to get wet as the skin was perfectly crisp), and set the fish on the crayfish, garnishing with parsley and coriander.
And, as suggested, a sprinkle of truffle oil, just for that extra bit of decadence. ;)

Overall, I'm very impressed with how the egg is working out. Albeit smelling like smoke and having to shower after each cook, the food is turning out much better than it would either in an oven or a stove top.

Comments