Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spare Ribs

Options
brewcityegger
brewcityegger Posts: 94
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have done baby back ribs in the past, this was my first try at spare ribs. After I trimmed them, I rubbed mustard on them and covered with Head Country rub and then in the fridge for 24 hours. Today I got my coals going and had the egg at 263 put the ribs on indirect for 3 hours with apple wood for smoke. I sprayed the ribs every 15-20 mins with apple juice. After 3 hours I wrapped them in foil after applying salt, butter spray (I could not find the squeeze bottle of butter), and brown sugar, I then put them back on indirectly. After I removed them from the foil, they went back on indirectly for 1 hour. For the last 30 mins I applied "Bone Sucking Sauce." First time trying this sauce, loved it.

The ribs were great eating ribs, bad competeion ribs. The meat feel off of the bone. I really liked them. Did I cook them too high? Or should I modify it to 2-2-1?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After the spray butter was applied

After the brown sugar

Comments

• brewcityegger
    Options
    Took the two left over half racks and vacuumed sealed them. I am looking forward to week-day ribs!!!

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Your ribs look very good. If you want competition ribs don't foil them and go longer on the cook. 4.5 - 6 hours watch them when there done there done. 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Never heard of putting butter on ribs.  Isn't there enough fat on them naturally?
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    I made some this weekend with no foil at all and they came out great. They were NOT fall of the bone which is what I prefer. When I took a bite, it came cleanly off the bone and the adjacent meat stayed in place. So like Rich_ie said, lose the foil if you do not want fall of the bone.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I made some this weekend with no foil at all and they came out great. They were NOT fall of the bone which is what I prefer. When I took a bite, it came cleanly off the bone and the adjacent meat stayed in place. So like Rich_ie said, lose the foil if you do not want fall of the bone.
    The foil has nothing to do with fall off the bone. They fall off the bone when they are overcooked. They will cook faster in foil but they didn't fall off the bone because of the foil. That being said, I never foil anything because it wrecks the crust.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX