Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fig Jam

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 13,350
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
*for an amazing appetizer: grill slices of baguette and top with brie, fig jam, smoked duck breast & caramelized onion
Jam:
1 lb figs, stemmed, rinsed, dried, quartered
2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
zest of 1 med orange
3/4 cup clear honey
juice of one med orange

In medium, non-reactive saucepan, bring figs, ginger, orange zest & honey to a gentle boil.
Continue to boil, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 120 degrees on a candy thermometer.
Remove from heat and stir in orange juice.
Pour into sterile jar and refrigerate.

Comments

• Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    Wow that looks amazing.  I have a lot of pretty good quality dried figs in my fridge- do you think they would work OK?  I have never made jam before... thanks!!
    Charleston, SC
  • Looks amazing.

I always thought Fig Jam stood for something else:

F-U
    I am
    Great

Just
    Ask
    Me

See.....fig jam.

Yours looks a lot better though.
  • Wow that looks amazing.  I have a lot of pretty good quality dried figs in my fridge- do you think they would work OK?  I have never made jam before... thanks!!

We don't THINK it will work with dreid fruit. We've never really thought of that before but jams/preserves have a lot to do with the pectin associated with fresh fruit. If you find differently, please let us know

• In the recipe above, candy thermometer = thermapen if you have one

Can't allow a candy thermo to be attached to the mighty centex (sarcasm) name :))

• Looks amazing.

I always thought Fig Jam stood for something else:

F-U
    I am
    Great

Just
    Ask
    Me

See.....fig jam.

Yours looks a lot better though.

Phil Mickelson's long time-tour nick name and hilarious

• Phil Mickelson!! Yes!! Didn't know if anyone else would know that. Gold star to you good sir. =D>
  • 10Driver10Driver Posts: 88
    Thanks!
  • allitnilsallitnils Posts: 109
    *for an amazing appetizer: grill slices of baguette and top with brie, fig jam, smoked duck breast & caramelized onion.

I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs as I type this thinking about what I'll be having for brunch this weekend..!
    Having said that, instead of a creamy Brie, have you thought or ever tried this with manchego cheese? I feel the nuttiness and firmness of the cheese will hold its own a bit better with the bold flavours of duck breast and the sweetness of the figs..

Incidentally, being that I am in the middle of winter it'll be a long tie until figs hit the shelves.. So I'm going to try it with dried figs, as was suggested. I have a feeling it'll work - once the figs are rehydrated (I could use spice like chai in the mix), they will become rather plump and usable..
    In any case, this is definitely a recipe I'm stealing.
  • *for an amazing appetizer: grill slices of baguette and top with brie, fig jam, smoked duck breast & caramelized onion.

I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs as I type this thinking about what I'll be having for brunch this weekend..!
    Having said that, instead of a creamy Brie, have you thought or ever tried this with manchego cheese? I feel the nuttiness and firmness of the cheese will hold its own a bit better with the bold flavours of duck breast and the sweetness of the figs..

Incidentally, being that I am in the middle of winter it'll be a long tie until figs hit the shelves.. So I'm going to try it with dried figs, as was suggested. I have a feeling it'll work - once the figs are rehydrated (I could use spice like chai in the mix), they will become rather plump and usable..
    In any case, this is definitely a recipe I'm stealing.
    The Bellavitano (not picutred) is our favorite and has many qualities of Manchego. It's very nutty and almost crumbly.