Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fig Jam

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
*for an amazing appetizer: grill slices of baguette and top with brie, fig jam, smoked duck breast & caramelized onion
Jam:
1 lb figs, stemmed, rinsed, dried, quartered
2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
zest of 1 med orange
3/4 cup clear honey
juice of one med orange

In medium, non-reactive saucepan, bring figs, ginger, orange zest & honey to a gentle boil.
Continue to boil, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 120 degrees on a candy thermometer.
Remove from heat and stir in orange juice.
Pour into sterile jar and refrigerate.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Wow that looks amazing.  I have a lot of pretty good quality dried figs in my fridge- do you think they would work OK?  I have never made jam before... thanks!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Looks amazing.

I always thought Fig Jam stood for something else:

F-U
    I am
    Great

Just
    Ask
    Me

See.....fig jam.

Yours looks a lot better though.
  • Wow that looks amazing.  I have a lot of pretty good quality dried figs in my fridge- do you think they would work OK?  I have never made jam before... thanks!!

We don't THINK it will work with dreid fruit. We've never really thought of that before but jams/preserves have a lot to do with the pectin associated with fresh fruit. If you find differently, please let us know
  • In the recipe above, candy thermometer = thermapen if you have one

Can't allow a candy thermo to be attached to the mighty centex (sarcasm) name :))
  • Looks amazing.

I always thought Fig Jam stood for something else:

F-U
    I am
    Great

Just
    Ask
    Me

See.....fig jam.

Yours looks a lot better though.

Phil Mickelson's long time-tour nick name and hilarious
  • Phil Mickelson!! Yes!! Didn't know if anyone else would know that. Gold star to you good sir. =D>
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    *for an amazing appetizer: grill slices of baguette and top with brie, fig jam, smoked duck breast & caramelized onion.

I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs as I type this thinking about what I'll be having for brunch this weekend..!
    Having said that, instead of a creamy Brie, have you thought or ever tried this with manchego cheese? I feel the nuttiness and firmness of the cheese will hold its own a bit better with the bold flavours of duck breast and the sweetness of the figs..

Incidentally, being that I am in the middle of winter it'll be a long tie until figs hit the shelves.. So I'm going to try it with dried figs, as was suggested. I have a feeling it'll work - once the figs are rehydrated (I could use spice like chai in the mix), they will become rather plump and usable..
    In any case, this is definitely a recipe I'm stealing.
  • *for an amazing appetizer: grill slices of baguette and top with brie, fig jam, smoked duck breast & caramelized onion.

I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs as I type this thinking about what I'll be having for brunch this weekend..!
    Having said that, instead of a creamy Brie, have you thought or ever tried this with manchego cheese? I feel the nuttiness and firmness of the cheese will hold its own a bit better with the bold flavours of duck breast and the sweetness of the figs..

Incidentally, being that I am in the middle of winter it'll be a long tie until figs hit the shelves.. So I'm going to try it with dried figs, as was suggested. I have a feeling it'll work - once the figs are rehydrated (I could use spice like chai in the mix), they will become rather plump and usable..
    In any case, this is definitely a recipe I'm stealing.
    The Bellavitano (not picutred) is our favorite and has many qualities of Manchego. It's very nutty and almost crumbly.