Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inquiring Minds Want to Know..

nozob1
nozob1 Posts: 43
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Inquiring minds want to know..well, actually ..only ONE ...my BFF Karen wants to know WHY the BGE has dimples.  She said most things based on ancient technology has a purpose.  We told her the BGE has them..because they do.  Yes..most eggs do not have dimples nor are they green unless they have been in your frig for a long, long time.

OK...don't laugh...you can stop laughing..really..you can stop.

So..why the dimples?  She is sitting right here..saying Golf balls have dimples...why the BGE???

LOL

Comments

• Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    Like a cute girl it makes them prettier when they smile!

So in essence I have no idea.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited July 2012
    My SWAG would be that it comes out of the mold easier with the uneven surface.

PS; Wow, went on-line to see if everyone would understand SWAG and found that it is apparently an obsolete term.  Stands for Scientific Wild Ass Guess, as opposed to a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) which is based on less information :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    When I was a working stiff I SWAG ed alot.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• My SWAG would be that it comes out of the mold easier with the uneven surface.

PS; Wow, went on-line to see if everyone would understand SWAG and found that it is apparently an obsolete term.  Stands for Scientific Wild @#!*% Guess, as opposed to a WAG (Wild @#!*% Guess) which is based on less information :-)
    In the corporate world, SWAG = "Stuff We All Get"-likecorporate logo t-shirts, koozies, keychains etc. Total crap giveaways at trade shows and meetings. have a garage full if anyone is looking :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    Kinda proud of myself, I knew all def of SWAG.

But for the life of me I've prayed "no one ask me about these dimples." Now I know that, too.
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    it's totally cosmetic.  the pattern actually differs quite a bit between sizes.  the dimples are shaped differently and are different depths.

why? well.

you need to look at the older versions. 
    originally these were earthenware (reddish clay) castings made in (i think) halves.  not one piece, anyway.  they'd be joined together before firing with slip (i think that;s the word), and then, to disguise the joint, the maker would slap the surface with the hand, with added slip, making a tacky pattern.  pattern was totlly random and varied from kamado to kamado.

fast forward.  advances in ceramics casting and formulas for the ceramic eliminate the need for casting in halves and joining, but the desire for a texture is still there, as a traditional look maybe, or even in an attempt to trademark the 'look'. so BGE casts it in.  it has changed in recent years. my older LBGE has smoother softer dimples.  the newer castings seem sharper. deeper shadow lines

the thing that kills me is that BGE was (i believe) the first to investigate the improvements in ceramics ("space age ceramics" and all that), and bring the kamado cooker to the next generation.

but they didn't trademark the 'look'. maybe you can't trademark the shape (since it's a product of the thousands-year-old development of the kamado). but they could have trademarked the dimpled surface.  not a significant thing, but it maybe would have been a roadblock to a couple of the knock-offs. 

but it has no effect on performance. a grill-dome brand kamado, for example, is totally smooth.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    +1 with Doc_Eggerton on the meaning of SWAG-but I'm sure the dimples just mean it goes further (like golf balls in flight) and lasts longer-(will need a SWAG for that) :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    but they didn't trademark the 'look'. maybe you can't trademark the shape (since it's a product of the thousands-year-old development of the kamado). but they could have trademarked the dimpled surface.  not a significant thing, but it maybe would have been a roadblock to a couple of the knock-offs. 
    Yup, my Ace as the Joe, which is not as nice as a BGE, and Lowes has some sort of horrible metal imitation.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    It's all about aerodynamics!!!  :-B
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited July 2012

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    It's so those weber freaks can't stick a limpet mine to it, and blow it to kingdom come. Where I come from wags means wives and girlfriends, as for the s on the front it could stand for a number of things, could hazard a guess or two.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Whatever @stike says.  He could just be making all that up and I'd still believe it. :)>-
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    Yup, my Ace as the Joe, which is not as nice as a BGE, and Lowes has some sort of horrible metal imitation.
    Funny you mentioned the Lowes imitation. A friend came over yesterday for DD#1 bday party. I was cooking the meal on the BGE. We're talking and I'm just loving showing him how this thing can really transform his cooking. Why was he so interested? He was in Lowes early and saw their cooker. He was interested, but "thought it looked cheap" so he didn't move on it. He and I are going to a BGE class at the end of the month so he can see it in the hands of pro. He'll probably  need to bring his truck so he can snag one.  
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    +1 with Doc_Eggerton on the meaning of SWAG-but I'm sure the dimples just mean it goes further (like golf balls in flight) and lasts longer-(will need a SWAG for that) :)
    Ha - this is the first thing that came to mind for me too.  Golf balls.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.