Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lasagna - WIN!

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited July 2012 in Cookbook
Well today we decided to make lasagna on the Egg.  I was craving pasta/Italian and instead of ordering out we created a masterpiece.

Started off by grilling a green pepper and an onion and roasted some fresh garlic - Once grilled/charred I chopped them up and threw them into a pot of crushed tomatos and tomato sauce.  I added a few spices (oregano, basil, salt, pepper, parsley) and let the pot sit on the Egg direct 300 for about 45 minutes.

I then removed the sauce and cranked the Egg up to 450 and cooked some Italian sausage and some ground beef that was seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning.  Cooked them for ~ 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour,  Once cooked I added the ground beef to the sauce and sliced the sausage up in thin slices and into the sauce.

I then added the ceramic stone and lowered the Egg temp to ~350.  I placed the sauce back into the Egg for ~ 1hour while I was getting the Egg stabilized and the Lasagna noodles cooked inside at 350.  After the hour we removed the sauce and made the lasagna with layers of pasta sheets, sauce with meat, ricotta/Mozzarella cheese and topped it off with a nice layer of shredded mozzarella.

Cooked the lasagna on the Egg for ~45 minutes (Until top started to brown) and added some garlic bread to the Egg.

I have to say I was craving this and it came out GREAT!  Nice rustic hint of smoke flavor throughout.  I wouldn't change much but possible add a little smoke flavor but something very light if any more at all.  This was ALL cooked on the Egg except for the pasta  ( I know they make the instant no water noodle but I like my pasta the old fashioned way and not processed cardboard).

This will be a repeat dish very soon.

Garnerville, NY

Comments