Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Size Advice

bud812
bud812 Posts: 1,869
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi fellow Eggheads. I just bought a small to go with my LBGE and want to use it for woking too. What size should I order from The Wok Shop? Would the 12 in. be to big & choke the airflow out? Thanks folks, I love this site & the Egg. I will pick up my new baby Tuesday.

P.S. I just sold my WSM to a buddy from work & he is a happy camper. (the littlte woman said he can't get a Egg so he got the next best thing)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2012

The 12" is ok for the small, but if you are wanting to be interchangeable with the large a 14" will work.  I use a 14" flat bottom with wood handle 'cause IMHO the handle gives me more control over the wok. Unless you are using a bamboo steamer the BGE top is not closed once you start cooking, at least I never do. so the 14" will work well.  The metal ears are also great but I do not use the ones I have that are metal handles.  Have just evolved to the wood handle over the years.  The air flow around the small with a 14' is no big deal, just move the wok as you are cooking and get a little air in there.  Watch out for flashbacks--rare.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    So the 14" will sit on the cooking grate in the normal position with no problem? Thanks for the info.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Richard Fl
    Yes as long as it is a flat bottom.
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    Since we're on the subject of woks, this was our effort this evening.  Cashew Chicken and Vegetables.  It's a Taste of Home recipe that got 4.5 stars.  The whole family loved it.  Richard, I haven't tried the 2 recipes you were kind enough to post, but definitely will.  They look delicious.  I'm working up to recipes with more ingredients.  Still lots to learn!image
  • Richard Fl
    edited July 2012
    I have posted several so not sure which you saved.  This is a fun recipe when you tire of fried rice in its many configurations:

Mei Fun

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1174835&catid=1

Here is a cashew chicken I like with a sauce recipe.
     Chicken, Breasts, Cashew Nuts, Szechuan
    Style

INGREDIENTS:  
    7 Ozs    Chicken Breasts, Sliced  
    1/2   Egg White  
    1 Tsp    Cornstarch  
    Pinch    Salt  
    3-4 Tbs    Peanut Oil  
    Vegetables:  
    3   Green Peppers, Sliced  
    3 1/2 Ozs    Bamboo Shoots  
    2 Ozs    Cashew Nuts  

1 Tsp    Garlic, Minced  
    1 `Tsp    Rice Wine  
    Sauce:  

Chicken Broth  
    1 Tbs    Soybean Paste  
    1 Tbs    Soy Sauce  
    2 Tsp    Sugar  
    1/2 Tbs    Vinegar  
    1/4 Tsp    Salt  

Procedure:
    1 Mix the chicken slices in the egg white, cornstarch and
    salt. Cook in the peanut oil, remove drain. Cook peppers, bamboo shoots cashew
    nuts and garlic in a little peanut oil. Remove, make sauce and add back the
    chicken and veggies. Serve with rice..

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source

Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe,
    1994/05/25

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Thanks Richard, saved for future ref.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    I would like advice on wok size and set up for LG egg...thanks!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46
    Dumb question...can you close the lid with the 14 inch metal handle wok (I assume "no")? How about the 12" (hopefully "yes")?
    Thanks!
    Jeff
  • Richard Fl
    On the large a 14" metal "D" ring handles closes no problem.  With a long wood or metal handle the lid will close almost.  Why do you want to close the lid unless you are using a bamboo steamer basket?
  • Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46
    Sorry, I should have clarified...in the small bge. I thought it would be better to close the lid and let the wok heat up that way. Then open the lid and cook on it (the wok)
    Thoughts?
    Jeff
  • Richard Fl
    edited July 2012
    These configurations all work, just depends on what I am cooking, my mood  and my setup for something else. These are all on my small.  No need to close the top in my eggsperience.

12" round bottom on raised grate:

12" round bottom on firering:

14" wood handle flat bottom firering:

14" flat bottom wood handle on  raised grate:

But since I got my new toy almost never use wok on BGE anymore unless am at my friends house where she has a large and medium: This is a 14" flat bottom with wood handle, also I use a 16" round bottom with single metal handle for larger meals.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For wok cooking, nothing beats the flexibility of a propane burner (normally for turkey frying, crawfish boiling).  You can buy one for about $25.  Go from light heat to 60,000 BTU if you want to incinerate something.  Lights in 1 second, no waiting.  Turns off in 1 second.  Secret to woks is high heat, and the egg can't match the BTU output of one of these, plus, you don't get the creosote deposits from the lump. 

Thanks Richard for the update!
    Jeff
  • Richard Fl

12" round in small on grate.