Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - Vrack or no?

Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

lots of people i see use v-racks when cooking ribs.  does anyone NOT use one?  is there a big difference in the outcome if not using one vs using one?

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I've done all three. V rack for 2slabs, inverted v rack for four slabs, and on grid for single slab I didn't see a huge difference. Just try to keep the ends of the ribs out of direct heat if you don't want them (the ends) to dry out.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Kind of depends on how many ribs I'm cooking.  3 or 4 racks, and I tend to use the vrack.  More than that, however, and I tend to use multiple grate tiers.  I really like the vrack for draping brisket over at the beginning of a cook.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I prefer them flat on the grill If I'm only cooking two racks.  I used the V rack for making 3 racks a while back and since I foil them, it was a pain to get them back into it with the foil on, without ripping the foil.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I prefer them flat on the grill If I'm only cooking two racks.  I used the V rack for making 3 racks a while back and since I foil them, it was a pain to get them back into it with the foil on, without ripping the foil.
    @FxLynch once you foiled them you could have just stacked them anyway that you want.  All they are getting at that point is heat, just like having them in an oven.

I quit foiling years ago, but when I did I just put them on anyway they would fit.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    @FxLynch once you foiled them you could have just stacked them anyway that you want.  All they are getting at that point is heat, just like having them in an oven.

I quit foiling years ago, but when I did I just put them on anyway they would fit.
    Wow you know I never even thought of that, but it's common sense.  Funny how the simplest solution would have been the best.
  • Duganboy
    That's what makes this forum so great.  I just picked up the tip about thawing ribs in warm water from another thread.  
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Wouldn't stacking them (whether foiled or not) insulate those not on the top or bottom of the stack?
  • Duganboy
    Overlapping more so than stacking several racks high.  Plenty of room on a large to put four racks in foil just by overlapping the racks.
    Wouldn't stacking them (whether foiled or not) insulate those not on the top or bottom of the stack?

• Mole351
    Bone side down when cooking if doing without v rack?
  • Duganboy
    I do bone side down for about 75% of the cook.  Others may do all the cook boneside down.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Bone side down for the duration-lazy once the BGE is in charge. but I'm in the X-0-0 camp as well.  Moral of the short story-experiment, find what works, remember it and then conduct controlled variations to get the end-result even better.  Remember it's all about the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bone side down for the duration-lazy once the BGE is in charge. but I'm in the X-0-0 camp as well.  Moral of the short story-experiment, find what works, remember it and then conduct controlled variations to get the end-result even better.  Remember it's all about the journey!
    +1 on bone down and X-0-0.  I do spray with apple juice/vinegar every hour.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I used the v rack for ribs. Since the wife dont eat ribs, my daughter and I make a couple of racks and I use the rack for the first 2 hours with the drip pan under. Then it goes in the lil tub with some apple J.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mole351
    Great info - thanks all. Only doing one rack, bone down, car wash Mike's method. Hoping one rack is enough for the two of us! (wife and I)
  • lousubcap
    Great info - thanks all. Only doing one rack, bone down, car wash Mike's method. Hoping one rack is enough for the two of us! (wife and I)
    Well-she could always end up on the short end...however, if you want to live another day :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • radar7792
    radar7792 Posts: 10
    I've done all three. V rack for 2slabs, inverted v rack for four slabs, and on grid for single slab I didn't see a huge difference. Just try to keep the ends of the ribs out of direct heat if you don't want them (the ends) to dry out.

I just wrap the ribs in a circle and stick a bambo rod thru the ribs works like a charm I'll post a pic in a few to show what I'm talking about, right now I've got some delish ribs to munch on
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    What is X-O-O?
    LBGE
  • lousubcap

Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like-experiment and enjoy the journey.

• Mole351
    Ribs were a success! Came out great - no too tough and not fall of the bone. Smoked some corn too and was equally impressed with that - first time for both.

Think next time I'll try foiling to see if that makes any difference. I could be happy with what I did tonight from here on out, but what's the fun in it if not experimenting?

Thanks for all of the advice
  • Mole351
    I wouldn't say equally impressed with the corn as that wasn't near the amount of work as the ribs...guess was more surprised it was as good as it was.