Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can chicken: direct or indirect

Options
jeffcaputo
jeffcaputo Posts: 15
edited July 2012 in Poultry
I have been looking at lots of recipes for beer can chicken and some say direct heat and others say indirect.  I did it once before direct at 375F and the flavor was amazing but the skin was not crisp. Do any of you have suggestions on which method works better, and if one will produce a crisper skin?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

Direct at 375+/- should yield crispy skin...take it to 160 in the breast and 180+ in the thighs and you should be there.  That said, here comes a promotion for spatchcock chix.  Check out the below site (great reference for any initial BGE inquiries BTW) and get to the recipes tab-spatchcock chicken.  I used to be in the beer can chix club then tried spatchcock and have never looked back.  Very moist, great flavor and cripsy skin cooking direct raised grid 350-400*F.  Enjoy-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I've done it indirect, haven't tried it direct, but I will second lousubcap with the spatchcock suggestion.  Also, some people say leaving the chicken in the fridge overnight uncovered will make for a crispier skin.
  • jeffcaputo
    jeffcaputo Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks, I did do the spatchcocked once and loved it as well, I agree with the Naked Whiz that the beer can doesn't do that much for moistness of the Chix, but it just looks cool. I will do the beer can this time and spatchcocked again next time.

I can't even remember my life anymore before the Egg, and really don't want to :)
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I've done it indirect, haven't tried it direct, but I will second lousubcap with the spatchcock suggestion.  Also, some people say leaving the chicken in the fridge overnight uncovered will make for a crispier skin.
    +2, if you don't have time for overnight in the fridge, you can try a little butter and cornstarch on the skin.

If you decide to go with a lower temp and find your thighs with a mushy taste, you can trim away the unwanted fat that hangs out on the bottom and insides of the legs. I have never tried it direct.