Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Binnes au sirop d'érable (Maple syrup baked beans)

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
edited July 2012 in Soups, Stews, Chilis
This is a typical sugar camp dish. It will be my first cook in my new Lodge cast iron dutch oven. I used a 7 quarts dutch oven and doubled this recipe.

2 cups white navy beans
5 cups water
1 onions
1/4 lb salted pork fat (bacon will also work)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbsp mustard
1/2 cup maple syrup (or more)

-Soak the beans overnight with 5 cup of water and drain in the morning.
-Add drained beans to the dutch oven with 5 cups of fresh water. Bring to boil (on the oven) and then simmer for 30-45 minutes (with cover) or until the beans are tender to your taste. The beans will not become any tender while baking.
-While the beans are simmering, start the egg @ 250. Slice the onion and salted pork and measure the other ingredients.
-Add everything to the beans in the dutch oven and stir gently. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover the beans; add water (or maple syrup) if necessary
-Move the dutch oven (with cover) to the egg. Let it be for 7 hours @ 250!

Comments

• paqman
    It is smelling so good right now a neighbor two houses away just came and asked me what I was cooking!

Looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will be looking for your final thoughts at the end of the day.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Looking good!  I will put it on the list....the list keeps getting longer. The more i stalk here, the more i want to cook

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• paqman
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will be looking for your final thoughts at the end of the day.
    Just removed the cover after 4 hours on the egg. Looks like there is too much liquid right now.

edited July 2012
    @Brownie They ended up being verry good but next time I'll use 4 cups of water in the cooking phase and will not boil more than 30 minutes. Also, the cover was removed for the last 3 hours.