Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Green egg introduction

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,669
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So for tonights cook were having cedar planked salmon. 350 dome temo.. Indirect with apple chips. But im not doing the cook... My fil is whom introduced me to the egg over last December.

So that got me thinking l.. How did you guys find out about the bge?

Comments

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,581
    I was watching America's Test Kitchen and they did a review of smokers. They rated it best out of several. It was how I was exposed.
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,669
    Aww nice. After i enjoyed several cooks on the egg i knew i had to have one... So i convinced ny wife to get one since it would save on our power bill.. Which it did. About 30$ cheaper a month. So in 20 years it will pay for itself.. The 20 more years to pay for the accessories lol
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    edited July 2012
    I came about it in a round about way. We like to shop at Aldi and they have these bacon wrapped beef shoulder fillets. I looked them up on google and came across a message board where a girl was talking about how good they were on her green egg. So I searched green egg and came across the website and read about it. I liked what I read but just stuck it in the back of my head. Then I was cooking a butt on my bullet smoker and was having a hard time maintaining the temperature. That night I made a decision to go ahead and get one. I haven't looked back. The gasser and the bullet smoker are collecting a lot of dust.
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Heard about the Egg many years ago on the bbq newsgroup. I saw one for the first time probably 10 years ago at a retail store that sells rubs, books, smokers, and is also an Egg dealer. I have wanted one ever since....finally talked myself into it last year.
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I saw an imitation at COSTCO, bought it, then went home and researched it and BGE.  I found this forum and after 2 days of reading everything I could, brought it back to COSTCO and starting making plans to be my own EGG!  
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    I heard about them about five years ago, but once I found out how much it cost for a grill that can't even ignite itself, I said forget it................ Well years have past as I have struggled with other smokers, and started to look at eggs once again. When my local dealer was having a 25% off the store sale, I could no longer resist myself.

What sold me was the fact that I never heard any complaints with the exception of "poor quality gaskets", and "price"

I remember reading a quote saying  "A BGE may cost more than it's worth, But worth every penny".
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,581
    When my gas grill started going i started looking into eggs, and the lifetime warranty sold me. This will be the last grill I buy because of failure.
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    I think a lot of people are short sighted on the price. When I tell people about it they find it hard to believe I spent that much on a grill. When you buy a $200 - $300 dollar gas grill you only seem to get 3 years before something wears out unless you are meticulous about care which I am not. If you look at it that way it doesn't take but about 3 - 4 gas grill replacements to pay off the egg which should in theory last forever short of replacing a few of the metal parts here and there. If they don't want to see the light let them use their crappy grills. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
  • gatorBGEgatorBGE Posts: 76
    Heard about BGE YEARS ago, always wanted one.  After going through approximately 5 gassers over a 10 year period at varied price points, my wife decided that it might be a worthwhile investment and bought me one with a bonus check she got.
  • moved to Wi from TX with a cavernous gasser and could not get it up to temp in the cold. Started looking around and found the egg. Love from the start. Took my gasser to the fire station to much applause and never looked back

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,222
    edited July 2012
    The cost/benefit gap vs other rigs is actually not very large (until you start into the after-market customization-but leave that for now).  Figure around $250+/- for a water gasser smoker that may live for three or so years, then throw in the $300-500 (on the low end) gas grill and you are in LBGE territory-The challenge is that somehow their marketing does not figure out how to leverage that big selling point (at least in my book-but I'm no marketeer...).  Of course, the target audience for that pitch resides on forums and is not a representative sample of those shopping for grills or smokers.  An opinion and we all know what those are worth-ramblings on a freakin hot Saturday PM.
    Louisville
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    edited July 2012
    moved to Wi from TX with a cavernous gasser and could not get it up to temp in the cold. Started looking around and found the egg. Love from the start. Took my gasser to the fire station to much applause and never looked back

Ha,   They applauded you for giving them a gasser.   I guess it makes sense until you know better.  
    =))

I have a freind who bought a Bubba Keg.     I started researching those and found the Egg.      My gasser was dying and I wanted to start using charcoal rather than gas.   I also wanted to smoke  as well as grill.  I bought a cheap off-set smoker because I thought an Egg was too expensive.      Anyway I did my thanksgiving turkey on the off-set and some ribs but it was way too much work.   Always putting in charcoal to keep the thing at temp so I decided to try the Egg and have not looked back. :x

Steve
    Van Wert, Ohio
    XL BGE
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,768
    edited July 2012
    You might be on to something with the electricity savings. We have an old electric stove that is being used much less now that the egg is in play. No more heating the oven to 500 for 30 + mins to do pizzas.
    I was aware of the egg years ago but never thought to get one. Used an Alton Brown Terracotta pot as main smoker and still do, I sprung on a mini after finding this site and seeing what was being done with the quick heat ups and various cooks.
    Seattle, WA
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I bought my BGE somewhere between 1996-2000 (youngest son was in college is how I remember) and I honestly have no recollection of how I first heard about them.  

Bought it at a pool and patio place that went out of business a couple of years later, but the mothership has honored two warranty issues with me telling them that I had no idea if I filled out the warranty papers that long ago.
  • BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 885
    Got tired of fighting with the Brinkman to cook butts, constantly adding charcoal to keep the temp up,water in the bottom tray. The wifey said have you ever heard of the BGE ? I said no and looked for a dealer and low and behold we had one in our little town of Alex City, Al. Checked them out and came back to the house and said, looks a little pricey to me. She bought me one (LBGE) for Fathers day. Best investment "we" ever made.

Alexander City,Al
  • billybonbillybon Posts: 183
    A few years ago I was on craigslist looking for another smoker. I found a good deal on a LBGE and hsve never looked back. I now have two large and a mini. However, I am not an exclusive egger. I also use a Grill Dome and a Primo XL Oval.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,550
    We were invited over for dinner at a friend's place on Royal Street in the French Quarter back in '98.  He cooked salmon and grilled asparagus on a med egg.  Third floor balcony in a "haunted" house.  Haunted house tours would stop in front on Royal and point up at us as we grilled.  It sort of stewed in my mind for years, and half a dozen gassers and smokers later, by wife graduated with her BSN, and he thought she'd treat herself to a BGE.  I started reading up on them again, after over 10 years, and she bought one.  My end was making the table and operating it. (and bought the DigiQ).

We don't use our oven much any more, and the savings isn't just the gas for the oven.  All that heat dumped into our old, mostly uninsulated house, needs to be pumped out by the AC. 

The egg is actually, despite the initial purchase price, going to save you money in the long run.  I've probably spent $2500 on grills and smokers long gone.  An egg will last you a lifetime, and you'll use it more.  It slices...it dices...it smokes, bakes, grills....

• EggucatedEggucated Posts: 212
    I was a young Army SGT stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa back in '91. There was a BGE store not too far from the base. One weekend I happened to drive by and they were doing a demo out front. I was sold on the spot, but it took 19 years years before I got around to buying one. Not something you want the Army to ship to Korea, and then Ft Hood for you!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
    You might be on to something with the electricity savings. We have an old electric stove that is being used much less now that the egg is in play. No more heating the oven to 500 for 30 + mins to do pizzas.
    I was aware of the egg years ago but never thought to get one. Used an Alton Brown Terracotta pot as main smoker and still do, I sprung on a mini after finding this site and seeing what was being done with the quick heat ups and various cooks.
    I started saving money on electric once outside temps broke 40*, But I'm pretty sure I'm spending it back on lump, and chunks of meat, and foodsaver bags, and aluminum foil, and aluminum foil pans, and.......
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 285
    Read about the Egg on a non-bbq related web forum a couple of years ago. A guy needed a new grill, asked for recommendations, and a couple for BGE showed up. I had never seen nor heard of them prior to that. Did a Google search and started reading up on them. I couldn't afford one at the time, so my purchase was postponed until this past spring. I did revisit that forum before buying mine and asked if those owners still liked them after owning them as long as they had - 100% approval rating. I headed to my nearest dealer the next day!  :)
  • tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 195
    My friend had one and after about 18 months I had to have one. I am totally addicted and seldom use my oven at all.
  • calracefancalracefan Posts: 475
    I saw a guy cooking on one in a you-tube video, don't remember how I got to watching the video. When he went to put his meat on I saw this "thing" and thought what the hell is that ! Watched the video closer and got the name off the handle,google search, then came across this site.With in about 2 weeks bought one, am very happy with it.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • NewvilleNewville Posts: 84
    Saw the BGE at the BBQ festival of a theme park, but my father had an old clay komodo when I was young (until it got too hot a cracked).
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 3,942
    My brother.  Had a steak at his place and was sold.  Bought my first BGE a couple weeks later.  Discovered later that he had only used his a couple of times.  After he saw what I was doing, he traded in his Medium for an XL and cooks a couple of times a week on it.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

My brother.  Had a steak at his place and was sold.  Bought my first BGE a couple weeks later.  Discovered later that he had only used his a couple of times.  After he saw what I was doing, he traded in his Medium for an XL and cooks a couple of times a week on it.
    I bet he wishes he would have kept the medium to work along side the XL.
  • RenatboostRenatboost Posts: 26
    A buddy of mine is a distributor is California foe BGE. He owed me some money for a bunch of furniture he got when I moved. More than paid for it with an egg and accessories.

He has since gotten two other friends eggs as well and we take turns cooking on weekends.

Funny thing is, my friend who distributes the eggs doesn't own one himself!
  • NewvilleNewville Posts: 84
    He has since gotten two other friends eggs as well and we take turns cooking on weekends.

Funny thing is, my friend who distributes the eggs doesn't own one himself!

Perhps the only thing better than cooking/eating on an egg is .... eating from someone else's egg?
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 630
    I originally got into smoking about 6 years ago when I bought a Weber Smoky Mountain. Frequently on the various forums I went on, would hear people talk about the BGE and then the inevitable debate about the value of the investment. I was intrigued and did my research but never pulled the trigger. Then, in the storms we had last summer and winter, my WSM twice got blown over and bent up and needed replaced. While trying to figure out what to do, I returned from a trip to New Orleans where a very lucky night at the poker tables left me with some money to spend. My wife said, "You keep saying you want to get an egg and now you have this money you just won. You should should go and get one.". Love that woman! So next day I bought it and have never looked back. We probably cook on it 5 days a week when I'm not traveling. Absolutely love it!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • EldeElde Posts: 129
    Was idly pondering building a bread/pizza oven in my backyard and when researching commercial alternatives, the BGE kept popping up.  When my gasser died, I was looking around local dealers and came across the BGE dealer doing a demo cook and was hooked.
  • eddieproeddiepro Posts: 42
    My uncle introduced me. He is a Weber guy, but moved to FL and met a new friend who had an egg. My uncle proves to introduce me to quality things-Apple Computers, Weber, and finally the BGE. That was 2002 or so...

Then my job I got in 2009 had a bunch of BBQers who had a comp team. The one member I got to know the best had a L BGE, and there wasn't anything he made that wasn't great! A few years of lusting for one later, my wife got me an XL for her wedding gift to me! :-D