Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg convertion

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know if the Egg can be converted to electric? The pit needs to be used in a no flame or coal heat area. Thank you

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tommy,
    There was a guy who I met here on the forum, and I am kind of embarrassed I can't remember his name. He mentioned using some kind of electric heating element in the firebox, and would put his wood for smoking in a foil pouch with holes in it.....ANDY!!! That's it. I''ll see if I can find his email address for ya..[p]I know one night me, CW, Smokin Bob and Andy had a long thread that got way off topic. I am guessing this was September or October of 1999. Someone made apost the next day about off topic posts....we really did use up some bandwidth that night!! But all in good fun.[p]I'll look now....maybe some of my work will go away while I am lookin.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Options
    Tommy, One time I heard about making a smoker out of an old refrigerator and placing an electric frying pan with wood chips in it inside. The frying pan has temp. control on it. Just a thought.
    Gord

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    g-o ,[p]A buddy of mine had one on his back porch to do deer jerky. It was an awful looking mess and it was no wonder he was never married- it had black smokey ooze everywhere but he did make good jerky with it. He had an 18 cu ft frig with all the shevles in there to hang jerky on. At the bottom was an electric hot plat and a pan of water over it. He added soaked wood chips often on the hot plate and cooked (dried out) that meat for about 2 days. What a mess![p]Tim
  • AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    Tommy, The Kamado comes in gas or electric (as well as charcoal). They have conversion kits for both. One of these might be adapted to convert a BGE. Retrofit kits run $125-$150. Check this site under "Pricing"; http://www.kamado.com/.[p]Another site is http://www.zenreich.com/. Look thru the forum and I'm sure there's been some discussion about how to convert to gas or electric.[p]TR[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    AbqEgg'r, I would call BGE first at 1-800-939-EGGS and see what affect other modifications would do for your lifetime warranty.

C~W

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, you have a fantastic memory! :-)

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    You remember! I looked thru the archives a bit, but couldn't find it. Very possible that thread bit the dust. It was HUGE, and almost entirely off-topic. [p]His name was Andy, (he originally had some questions on a pork butt he was cooking) from Florida somewhere I believe, and he was trying to get us to download a chat program so we could chat without filling up the forum. Remember now?? You got me curious. I will find it.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I think I found it! It was AndyA. It was all part of Bob's 4 hour pulled pork thread....which has some great debates goin on in it!! Man that was a doozy of a thread!![p]Can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago though.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Tommy,[p]Yes, it can be for smoking and lower indirect cooking. Char Broil has a replacement element and it has a variable heat control, Brinkman has one too, but it is not variable. The element can be bent to fit a variety of applications and can be purchased online. I guess it would be to your advantage to check with BGE, but it shouldn't be a problem. They sell an electric charcoal starter and all that is a element without a heat control. If you want to do this feel free to email me, I'll give you some options.[p]Zip