Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new EGG owner 1st disappointments followed by successful assembly

Options
jfarley
jfarley Posts: 145
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
While my brand new EGG has been sitting in the box for three weeks, I
picked up my new table from the vendor today. Imagine the disappointment
I felt when I discovered the tabletop had sustained shipping damage when I opened the box. I called the dealer and they immediately said I could return it, and get a new table in three weeks. Three more weeks? I bought this thing to use it this summer, three more weeks was just unacceptable. It's amazing what a rubber mallet, glue, and deck screws can do in a pinch. While it ain't the prettiest repair I've ever done, it is quite functional.

Then I discovered that the lower shelf has one hole per side to mount it, but the leg assembly has two. Obviously this is so the shelf height can be varied but there were no instructions for guidance in the package or on the website. It took me installing it in the upper holes first only to find the correct position when using a paving tile underneath is the lower hole. This is too much to go through for such a premium item at a premium price.

The last photo shows my ultimate success (Looks like an ad, I know).

Work demands will keep me away from cooking this weekend. Next weekend - away we go! 

imageimageimageimageimageimage
LBGE - July 2012
Valencia, CA

Comments

• bstang2005
    Options
    Is that the egg table sold by big green egg? That is disappointing that you had to patch up your brand new table! I hop your dealer is going to re-inburse you somehow.

I just ordered my egg with the table sold by big green egg today... I hope it arrives in better condition than yours did. 

Your egg does look really nice siting in the table.

Is the table stained? If not are you going to stain it? 
  • jfarley
    Options
    Is that the egg table sold by big green egg? That is disappointing that you had to patch up your brand new table! I hop your dealer is going to re-inburse you somehow.

I just ordered my egg with the table sold by big green egg today... I hope it arrives in better condition than yours did. 

Your egg does look really nice siting in the table.

Is the table stained? If not are you going to stain it? 
    It is the BGE brand table. I may ask for something as by fixing I've saved the dealer and/or BGE some money, we'll see. The bottom line it is still completely functional, does not look bad (the repair is underneath), and adds the first bit of character. I'm a pretty handy guy so everything I needed to repair was easily at hand.

I have no plans to stain it. I did consider some type of sealer but think instead I will just let it weather naturally. Guessing it will get a gray patina? As time goes on I am more averse to painting for maintenance. If the work surface gets bad it can always be covered with sheet metal or something else. Any veterans with a table have a though on that?

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • bdub474
    bdub474 Posts: 7
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Definitely not a veteran, but I covered my table with a stainless top.  My dad made the table out of cedar, and my brother who owns a machine shop made the top.  The top is 304 series food grade stainless steel.  The center hole was made with a waterjet machine, so it is perfectly round.  He then bent the edges and TIG welded the corners.

• jfarley
    Options
    That is one awesome table bdub474! The stainless steel is most impressive. The bottle opener is pretty cool too. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Ok, I want that table!  It would be so nice to have anyone know how to build things!

• smokehog
    smokehog Posts: 4
    Options
    Nice stainless top, bdub474!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    While my brand new EGG has been sitting in the box for three weeks, I
    picked up my new table from the vendor today. Imagine the disappointment
    I felt when I discovered the tabletop had sustained shipping damage when I opened the box. I called the dealer and they immediately said I could return it, and get a new table in three weeks. Three more weeks? I bought this thing to use it this summer, three more weeks was just unacceptable. It's amazing what a rubber mallet, glue, and deck screws can do in a pinch. While it ain't the prettiest repair I've ever done, it is quite functional.

Then I discovered that the lower shelf has one hole per side to mount it, but the leg assembly has two. Obviously this is so the shelf height can be varied but there were no instructions for guidance in the package or on the website. It took me installing it in the upper holes first only to find the correct position when using a paving tile underneath is the lower hole. This is too much to go through for such a premium item at a premium price.

The last photo shows my ultimate success (Looks like an ad, I know).

Work demands will keep me away from cooking this weekend. Next weekend - away we go! 

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Don't know for certain but I doubt they ship a lot of the warranty stuff back to BGE. I know I've been sent  pictures of cracked bases, fire rings and boxes and received new parts. If you are happy with what you have why don't you ask the dealer to get a new table on warranty and let him sell it? Get yourself a store credit or something for your pain.
  • jfarley
    Options
    Actually I got exactly what you say in the last sentence Little Steven. I emailed the COO for Barbecue's Galore (and cc'd BGE customer service) last evening essentially telling my tale of woe as outlined above. This afternoon I got a call from the local branch asking me to come in for a $100 gift card. What a quick response! This relieves all the pain. Now I can tell my adventure to all I barbecue for and emphasize how Barbecue's Galore stepped up to satisfy me. BARBECUE"S GALORE ROCKS!

Work demands will lessen by next weekend. What will my first cook be? A pork shoulder? Ribs? Whatever it is it has to be low and slow so as to let the gasket seat as I understand it. I'm looking forward to my continued BGE adventure. 
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Until very recently I had that very same BGE table.  The assembly quality left a lot to be desired.  You would have ended up repairing it sooner or later anyway.  The boards should have been screwed to the supporting members, not stapled.  IMHO, the thing is junk.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options

Definitely not a veteran, but I covered my table with a stainless top.  My dad made the table out of cedar, and my brother who owns a machine shop made the top.  The top is 304 series food grade stainless steel.  The center hole was made with a waterjet machine, so it is perfectly round.  He then bent the edges and TIG welded the corners.

That is one nice table, I love the beer bottle opener.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sweet stainless top!
    Options
    Until very recently I had that very same BGE table.  The assembly quality left a lot to be desired.  You would have ended up repairing it sooner or later anyway.  The boards should have been screwed to the supporting members, not stapled.  IMHO, the thing is junk.
    completely agree.  I have the small table, and last week was just pulling it out into cooking position on my porch...guess I put a bit too much 'upward' pressure on the last decking piece...and it pulled right out of the staples.   I admit that I shouldn't have pulled 'up' at all, but it wasn't much pressure.  For as much as they charge for the thing, the deck should be screwed on.   Had I known the poor build quality, I would have built my own (and treated it with kid gloves!).
  • jfarley
    Options
    I agree the overall construction could be better. Taking the time to build one from scratch didn't fit my agenda so I went with this one. If I ever do build one it will be like bdub's above. This table will do to get me started. Perhaps I will add some screws to the to boards to strengthen it. Time will tell.

I'm getting ready to start my very first cook. The charcoal and wood chunks are in the firebox ready to light as I type this. I decided to go with ribs for my first cook. I've always used Dr. BBQ's recipe on my Weber kettle, with great results, but now look forward to going a little lower and slower. I'm hoping my BGE will hold a consistent 275 degrees. Life is good!

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Ok, I want that table!  It would be so nice to have anyone know how to build things!

You can build a table, even with little knowledge of tools. I'm not saying you should go weld something, but a the frame of the BGE tables are very basic. A saw, a drill, and some screws are all you need. If you don't have a saw, the lumber companies, or big box stores will cut the wood for you for free. Just give them your measurements.

If you don't want a wood top, there are plenty of options that someone can male for you. I.E. granite, tile, stainless steel, pvc or composite decking, or concrete. I got my plans from the BGE web site. There is a similar design on the Naked Whiz site. My table was
    $500 and it has a concrete counter top, which ran me about $400. Built my whole table in 3 hours. I had a friend make the counter.

Mark Annville, PA