Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need willpower

Options
Eller
Eller Posts: 56
edited July 2012 in Off Topic

I have gained a lot of wisdom from the forum. I have also gained 20 lbs. since getting my egg 3 months ago. I am jonesing for some spares. but no cook is on the schedule for tonight. I guess I will have to start doing some veggies for fear of reprisal from my Doctor.

Have a great weekend all.

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    It's tough to eat healthy when delicious unhealthy food is so easy to make, and when it's just as easy to make 10 pounds of food as 2 pounds of food.  My better half is the reason I eat as many veggies as I do.  And I'm getting more of a taste for leftovers lately.
  • Eller
    Options
    Good point Fx, making food on the egg is also cost effective. Hell, spares are on sale for $3.00 a pound here in Phoenix. I wonder if my wife will buy this pathetic logic?
  • FxLynch
    Options
    This is when you tell her you need a spider and a wok setup.  Then you can use the Egg, while making healthier dishes (provided the stir fry is actual a healthy recipe lol). More toys for you!
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Also on a serious note: even though boneless skinless chicken breasts aren't the greatest thing to cook, they do make a great test bed for trying different rubs.  I've had many dinners where I cut each breast in half then used different rubs on each piece.  We sat as a family and rated which rubs we liked the best, each trying bites of different flavors.  

That way you still get the fun of egging, you have good leftovers, and you are eating leaner meat.  Win-win-win.
  • Eller
    Options
    Fx, What brand of rub do you like to use on your chicken?
  • FxLynch
    Options
    For chicken I like two of the BGE rubs, Sweet maple and the Green pecan.  I also like Bone Suckin Sauce.  I've tried a bunch of rubs, but these have a nice amount of the sweet flavor we like with chicken.  I suggest just getting some rubs that are local to you, and trying them on different pieces and decided which is best.  It's surprising what tastes good on what.  There was a Tragger salmon seasoning that we thought was best on steamed veggies.  
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    This is a BIG concern of mine I lost 30 pounds, just hit my goal weight and just bought LBGE.  I like the fatty stuff, but try to only have it every few days as a treat,  I just bought a big salt block and hope to use it for fish chicken, and turkey cutlets.  Healthy versions but still egging!  What about veggie kabobs?  
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Let's see if this link works. I did a steamed halibut the other day that was both healthy and delicious:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141140/halibut-en-papillote#latest
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I actually lost 20lbs since buying egg.. try a chicken breast, 400 indirect for 30 mins, then go until 160. Healthy food is good on bge too guys.
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Options
    Portion control is a imperative. Keep your proteins at about 6 oz. per meal. Do about 4 oz of veggies and add in some healthy carbohydrates. Each persons caloric need intake is different. I'm more than happy to help with meal plans if needed!
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Good luck to all of you I think everything taste better off the egg. I've never tried tofo have you?