Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Binchotan Charcoal - anyone use it?

Options
cssmd27
cssmd27 Posts: 345
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I saw it for $7.50/lb. (!! Yes, you read correctly!) and was wondering if it was ever worth using and how? Mixed or straight? Small fires with longer cook times? Or, do you just need less since it burns so much hotter?
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It burns cooler with less smoke.  Wow, that charcoal costs twice as much as the average price per pound of the meat I cook on my egg.

It would cheaper for me to start a fire with chuck steak and roast some oak.
    Options
    It burns cooler with less smoke.  Wow, that charcoal costs twice as much as the average price per pound of the meat I cook on my egg.

+1  ;)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    $75 dollars for a ten lb bag of charcoal, just doesn't seem very realistic.  Wow.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Interesting....   from:   http://www.rikumo.com/Sumi-Charcoal-Kishu-Binchotan-Charcoal-p47.html

"It
    helps dissipate Electric Magnetic Fields from electrical appliances.
    Charcoal generates negative ions that are said to put people in a better
    frame of mind.  Binchotan charcoal is an ideal interior object placed
    anywhere in the house and office to create healthier environment. More
    over, cooking rice with a piece of charcoal in rice cooker, placing a
    piece of charcoal in water pitcher to create mineral water are also 
    recommended."

Also, this charcoal is widely known to cause wold peace.  It makes dogs and cats love each other, keeps kids from embarrassing their parents in fine restaurants, and unclogs stubborn drains.

Options

I literally LOL'd! Forced me to try and explain it to my wife who responded with a blank stare. I guess you have to be in the club to get it.

FWIW, this site claims it burns 3X hotter: http://korin.com/White-Binchotan-Charcoal?sc=28&category=281236
    And, the book, Mastering the Grill claims it burns much hotter than our domestic charcoals.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I literally LOL'd! Forced me to try and explain it to my wife who responded with a blank stare. I guess you have to be in the club to get it.

FWIW, this site claims it burns 3X hotter: http://korin.com/White-Binchotan-Charcoal?sc=28&category=281236
    And, the book, Mastering the Grill claims it burns much hotter than our domestic charcoals.

I laughed too.

I guess it would burn at almost half the temp of the sun if it is 3X hotter our domestic charcoal.

I think the feng shui properties above might be more valuable
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Three times hotter, and (it seems like) for longer?  Maybe there's a fusion or fission reaction going on, or maybe it's magical feng shui (certainly not cold fusion).  Basically, charcoal's energy is based on weight.  Charcoal is a very pure form of carbon, although with some ash in commercial lump.  Fillers, esp. in briquettes, lower the BTU.  Lump is pretty much the same BTU per pound, unless it isn't converted properly, or has a lot of moisture.

I got my info from wiki: "Although it is often thought that binchō-tan burns hot, it actually
    burns at a lower temperature than ordinary charcoal but for a longer
    period."

Makes sense, since the charcoal is so hard (rings like a chime if you strike it, they say), it probably moderates the amount of oxygen that can permeate the burning layer inside the ash layer.  More likely, the best characteristic is it absorbs electromagnetic radiation from your household appliances and doesn't create smoke.  Smoke.  That's flavor.  I think that's the ringer - doesn't impart a smokey flavor.

I'll bet you could take Wal-mart's "Great Value" or whatever briquettes, and hit them with a lawn blower and forge a primitive iron tool.  The hotness of a fire is a function of how much oxygen it can get.
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have some and have tested it.  It does not burn hotter in a ceramic charcoal cooker with the vents wide open. But any 3x hotter claim is rubbish since that would mean it burns at about 6000 degrees.  Don't think so. Note that the site also repeats the myth of high hear sealing in juices.

I'd have to go check but as I recall, it didn't burn very long either.  I think the main usage for binchotan is in hibachi-like applications where you want to do cooking indoors at the table.  Low smoke, low flavor.
    The Naked Whiz
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options

I have some and have tested it.  It does not burn hotter in a ceramic charcoal cooker with the vents wide open. But any 3x hotter claim is rubbish since that would mean it burns at about 6000 degrees.  Don't think so. Note that the site also repeats the myth of high hear sealing in juices.

I'd have to go check but as I recall, it didn't burn very long either.  I think the main usage for binchotan is in hibachi-like applications where you want to do cooking indoors at the table.  Low smoke, low flavor.
    Hmmm, objective data over advertising claims .... think I'll stick with the Whiz!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Hmmm, objective data over advertising claims .... think I'll stick with the Whiz!

good call. I don't remeber the whiz ever touting the health benefits of a piece of lump in a glass of water or it's benefits in dissipating electromagnetic fields!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    If you dont want a smokey flavor use a gas rig.  Why did you buy an Egg in the first place?

Simple ingredients, amazing results!