Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Propane torch?

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I presently use an electric starter.  9 minutes and stir coals yada yada.  I still get hotter and cooler spots.  I know some of you use a propane torch.   I’m
thinking I could get a more even start with a torch.  Am I correct? 
What do you torchmasters do?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use a torch sometimes.  Just concentrate on a spot until it lights, then move on to a new spot.  Only problem I have is the lump likes to pop and explode and I get little burning embers all over the place.  Not that big a deal, and I suppose it depends on the lump you're using.
    Options
    I use propane torch- about 3-4 different spots for 20-30 seconds per spot

Works pretty well.

Greensboro, NC
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I think it was the puppet formerly known as VI that turned me on to using isopropyl alcohol, it's quick, clean & cheap. But using an electric starter probably gives you time for one more libation.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• 3MBBQ
    3MBBQ Posts: 26
    Options
    I use a MAPP torch (hotter than propane). If i'm doing an indirect cook, i just light a few coals in the center. If I am doing a direct cook, I light in a few different places. Some lump sparks a LOT more than others! Using gloves (and maybe protective glasses) 'just in case' is always a good idea when playing with torches and flames!