Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extra meat on spare ribs?

brewcityegger
brewcityegger Posts: 94
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just bought my first batch of Spare ribs from Sam's Club. I have always done baby back ribs. I was trimming up my spare ribs and was wondering what the extra meat above the ribs was. I cut all of this off, but it just seems too good to throw away. What is this and what can I do with it? These are some pretty big chunks of meat.

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I always apply my rub and smoke the "extras" as a cooks treat. They don't take as long as the ribs, and are a nice snack during the cook.

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    I think some peeps call them riblets. Don't throw them away!!!!  I cook them they same way and same time (as long as) as I do the ribs. Just as tasty. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've heard them called different names, but where I live they are called rib tips. Not as elegant as St.Louis trimmed spares, but more of them are sold.  There is one part that is almost all bone. I save that for stock. But the rest can be turned into great BBQ. They cook just a bit faster than spares, especially if they have been cut into small chunks (not a good idea, IMHO.) And may be a little fatter if not trimmed.

I buy spares and trim them for guest, or cook BBs, but for home, the tips are preferred.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    In addition to the appropriate "cook's treat" I smoke the meatier parts and then chop them up and toss into a pot of beans.  Posted a thread a few months ago looking for different suggestions and didn't yield much-you may get better options.  Regardless, all good.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I put all 3 of them in a food saver bag and put them in the freezer. Probably about 3 pounds worth. No bones either. I may just have a full egg of cook's treat some at.
  • In addition to the appropriate "cook's treat" I smoke the meatier parts and then chop them up and toss into a pot of beans.  Posted a thread a few months ago looking for different suggestions and didn't yield much-you may get better options.  Regardless, all good.
    Great call on the beans.

Is there anyway to prepare this meat "al pastor" forgive my poor spelling of it.