Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Vs. Low n Slow Butt

Options
Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited July 2012 in Pork
After only cooking four butts and one picnic, all of which were small and able to be cooked in a days time (not timed for dinner), I decided to do my first overnight cook on a 10.5lb butt for a friends 4th of July party. With a little planning and some great advice from the great folks of this forum, my first overnight went without effort (just a little anticipation towards the end).
Any how while I was tired from checking my egg the night before, wasn't necessary as temp held steady all night, I was reading about all the other butts other Eggers were doing. @Eggucated was doing a turbo butt that only took 5.5 hours to cook, and claimed to have great results. So when my M-I-L wanted us to come back to her house for a "lets use up the left over fireworks and food" party, and "oh by the way it's too bad we didn't taste your pulled pork". It really only left me with one decision, another pork butt. After a long hot day yesterday and two meals already cooked, I decided to do a turbo this morning.
So what I came up with is

7.84 lb butt
Injected 1-1/2 hrs before cook (see Jasons post) (I know guys you don't need to tell me but for the sake of the same constants I injected this one also)
Yellow mustard
Dizzy Dust coarse grind 1 hour before covered in fridge
Egg at 350* with apple chunks and cherry chips
Left over injection dumped in elevated drip pan on plate setter.

imageimageimage

Comments