Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Disappointing Rib Results

2»

Comments

• Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    I see Ribs are like babies, they are brought into this world on their own schedule. I love that.
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118

I pulled the membrane off the backside as instructed in the Car Wash Mike instructions.  Another issue was that I put them on the grill at 1 p.m.   By 6 p.m. everyone was hungry and I thought they were done, but now I see where they could have used some more time.  I will have to start earlier next time. 

I see Ribs are like babies, they are brought into this world on their own schedule.

Lots of people make the same mistake Gump by thinking time.  There is an old saying in Q, "it is done when it is done".  The good news is you could have had them done at 4 pm.  Wrapped in HD alum foi, a couple of towels and a cooler and they would have been perfect at 6. 
  • I do mine at 215 for 5 to 6 hours depending on thickness...plate setter, legs up, on a VRP ....apple chunks, cherry chips, my special rub. I've won 9 contests this year with it....once I pull the ribs, I wrap them in foil until I can't wait any longer....makes them more tender.
  • I would think the grate is hotter than the dome.....thermodynamics laws are consistent inside BGE's right?

Until you put te platesetter in
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

+ 1  - plate setter makes it kinda like a convection oven in a way.     Dome may be 30-40 degrees warmer than the grill.

Cookin in Texas
  • Jai-BoJai-Bo Posts: 334
    Cook'em till the meat starts sliding up the boneimage
    Exactly.....I never use a internal temp fer my ribs.....Once they pull away exposing the ribs, I'll pull em and wrap em in foil then throw back on the egg fer about 30 minutes.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!