Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum Sealer

Options
HavasuTom
HavasuTom Posts: 13
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking to finally purchase a vacuum sealer. Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations, pros / cons ....Foodsaver, Rival, Trademark Global, Vacmaster or others. Auto or manual? Model numbers would also be helpful.  

Thanks!

Lake Havasu, Arizona 

Size does matter - XL BGE

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Do not buy any foodsaver that looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E42R8O/ref=asc_df_B001E42R8O2085927?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001E42R8O&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1505808534793560972&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Pure junk.  We hated ours....wastes about 2" with each sealing.

We've had a bunch of them over the years.  We LOVE the one we have now, I'll try to find the model number.  As a matter of fact, we bought a back up because we like it so much (and it was on sale for a ridiculous price)...
    Options
    Ok, this is the model we love...going on 3 years with it.  They generally last about 4 for us, so we'll see.

Foodsaver V2222 (or similar, go by similar looks)

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V2222-Vacuum-Sealer-Starter/dp/B004HESL74

It's simple, doesn't have to pump to seal, you can seal right near the edge, unlike their fancy piece of junk we regret buying before this one.

Options
    The reason I don't like it is because it wastes lots of bag because you have to put it so far in the unit, even when sealing the first end of the bag.  Also, it uses vacuum to seal every time, so it takes a long time to seal the first end compared to the one we have now.  And it's huge, takes up lots of counter space compared to the other one, and it costs twice as much.   I figure we wasted about 20% of a roll inserting the bags in the deep recess of the machine over the unit we have now, plus it takes about half the time to seal something up.  That other model is sitting on a shelf in my shop collecting dust.
    Options
    We have the Food-Saver as well and really like it. Costco often offers coupons for a big box of premade bags and rolls of bag material.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Glad you started this topic Nola, I've been shopping for a food saver just today in fact.

Would love to hear what other models people are liking.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    technically, I didn't start it.  But we've been using the Foodsavers forever and we've gone through enough models and features to recognize which one we like.  I even dissected one of our old ones one time.  Glad to pass on recommendations from our experiences - both good and bad.  I think we bought the model we have now, the V2222 from yugster, 1saleaday or woot, one of those sites, for less than $30.  But it turns out we like it much better than the ones we paid over $100 for.  My recommendation is to look for one that's simple and has separate "Seal" and "Vacuum/Seal" buttons.  And the ones that store the roll inside are a pain in the butt.
    Options
    The canisters and marinaters that food saver sells are great as well. I use Foodsaver V3485 and it's one of my favorite additions for the egg.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    We have those too, very nice.  The foodsaver we have doesn't have the marinater "cycle" function, but you can do that manually by pumping down, wait, release pressure, and repeat a few times.
    Options
    This is the one I have:

http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-Vacuum-Sealer-PRO-2100-White-p/65-0101.htm?gclid=CMLb9t3jhbECFQ67KgodfjVezA

I bought mine when it had a further discount. Still pretty pricey, but seems to have a lot of quality.

I had had a standard consumer model, forget what brand, $70, lasted about 2 weeks. When I decided to buy another, I read every review I could find. This one just had one bad review. The farm using it said it failed after 600 chickens and 2 deer. I figured it would last me pretty much forever. Its quite quick, maybe 10 seconds per bag, and the level of vacuum is good. Haven't come across anything that needs the 15" bag, so that is probably not going to be of much use.
  • HavasuTom
    HavasuTom Posts: 13
    Options
    Looking to finally purchase a vacuum sealer. Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations, pros / cons ....Foodsaver, Rival, Trademark Global, Vacmaster or others. Auto or manual? Model numbers would also be helpful.  

Thanks!
    Thanks for all of the great input....now I just have to decide which one!

Lake Havasu, Arizona 

Size does matter - XL BGE

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    The reason I don't like it is because it wastes lots of bag because you have to put it so far in the unit, even when sealing the first end of the bag.  Also, it uses vacuum to seal every time, so it takes a long time to seal the first end compared to the one we have now.  And it's huge, takes up lots of counter space compared to the other one, and it costs twice as much.   I figure we wasted about 20% of a roll inserting the bags in the deep recess of the machine over the unit we have now, plus it takes about half the time to seal something up.  That other model is sitting on a shelf in my shop collecting dust.

With that model which I currently own and gave my daughter the one you recommend. I like the space saving one a lot more. When you make your first seal before putting any product in just push the stop/seal button first before inserting bag and it will not vacuum, just seals. To get away from sealing and wasting 2" of bag just don't shove in so far. Maybe when you do your first seal since you didn't push the button first it has to go in farther for the vacuum part?
  • trevorst
    trevorst Posts: 64
    Options
    I have to agree with nolaegghead.. I have that model and I get frustrated every time I use it because of the waste. I can get it down to around an inch, but even so, why!!! To make them money.....
    It does work fine but my plan is to replace it with a simple design in the very near future.

I have used Foodsavers or over 10 years btw.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They may have improved it since we bought it, but the top and bottom section of the sealer on our model were only closed by vacuum.  It just seemed like they made something "consumery" with features they could put behind bullet points in their ads.