Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping a 9.75 butt for a friends party tomorrow

Comments

• butt will be resting until either 10 or 12pm. I want it to be ready to come off the grill as close to 3pm as possible. When should I throw it on?

time to fly on your own grasshopper. You know the basics (and more). depends on temp, and many other things. Use the force, you got this.

let us know if you run into serious concerns...for now, you are on your own.

yessir!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • this is going to be fun. You are going to go to your party with primo pork in hand and it's going to be all you. Seriously though, if you need help we are all here and obviously anyone is free to chime in when they want. I just know you got this in the bag. I'm home all night (although cannot guarantee reliable advice past about 11pm central due to forecasted bourbon consumption). have fun and let us know if we can help

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    this is going to be fun. You are going to go to your party with primo pork in hand and it's going to be all you. Seriously though, if you need help we are all here and obviously anyone is free to chime in when they want. I just know you got this in the bag. I'm home all night (although cannot guarantee reliable advice past about 11pm central due to forecasted bourbon consumption). have fun and let us know if we can help

i will update as i prep fire and pull the beast out of the fridge.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• this is going to be fun. You are going to go to your party with primo pork in hand and it's going to be all you. Seriously though, if you need help we are all here and obviously anyone is free to chime in when they want. I just know you got this in the bag. I'm home all night (although cannot guarantee reliable advice past about 11pm central due to forecasted bourbon consumption). have fun and let us know if we can help

perfect...........wait, you haven't done that yet????? :))

kidding

• michigan_jason
    this is going to be fun. You are going to go to your party with primo pork in hand and it's going to be all you. Seriously though, if you need help we are all here and obviously anyone is free to chime in when they want. I just know you got this in the bag. I'm home all night (although cannot guarantee reliable advice past about 11pm central due to forecasted bourbon consumption). have fun and let us know if we can help

kidding

hahaha, I am about to go out there and see if i have any lump... LMAO :)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

kidding

hahaha, I am about to go out there and see if i have any lump... LMAO :)

That would be step 1

• Loving this post! I have chuckled several times out loud. Now my wife thinks I am nuts cause how can you laugh from BGE posts. Thanks all!
  • michigan_jason
    its easy to laugh at us lol....

• michigan_jason
    It is 98 degrees outside still, damnit. i may not even need to start the egg. I will just put the butt in and leave it on overnight in this heat.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Injection is a waste of time on a pork shoulder aka butt;  There is enough fat in this cut of meat that you don't need anything but a rub that you like and some wood smoke that you like.

I only say this because I have injected many pork shoulders and could never tell a bit of difference from the injected and the ones that were just rubbed down and smoked low and slow.
  • michigan_jason
    Injection is a waste of time on a pork shoulder aka butt;  There is enough fat in this cut of meat that you don't need anything but a rub that you like and some wood smoke that you like.

I only say this because I have injected many pork shoulders and could never tell a bit of difference from the injected and the ones that were just rubbed down and smoked low and slow.
    that was my thought, but i figured why not try it to see for myself

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I put mine on at 7 today. Temp holding perfect about to hit 3 hour mark

What time did you out yours on and what temp are you holding at?
    Boom
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    @fanoffanboys

lol, i am holding at 98 degrees (outside temp) and the butt is at 37 (inside fridge temp)

going out to get grill ready as soon as the tigers finish off the royals

im aiming to put the butt on at about 11 EST

• It is 98 degrees outside still, damnit. i may not even need to start the egg. I will just put the butt in and leave it on overnight in this heat.

Nothing says "Thanks for the invite" like serving 98 degree pork to 30 people at a party then sneaking out the door after just having a few beers. :))

• michigan_jason
    It is 98 degrees outside still, damnit. i may not even need to start the egg. I will just put the butt in and leave it on overnight in this heat.

Nothing says "Thanks for the invite" like serving 98 degree pork to 30 people at a party then sneaking out the door after just having a few beers. :))

I may arrive at this party via boat too, so i will just have to sneak out to the canal and hit the main water to get back home, they will never catch me then!

• michigan_jason
    Ok, it is 11:13EST, but has been on since 11pm EST on the dot. DIGI Q is set and holding pit (grate) temp at 225, meat probe is in place and butt is at 56*

Heavy smoke from the hickory chunks, apple chips, and cherry chips. I used approx half of an 8lb bag of RO with very little leftover lump from my last rib cook. I also took a little sample bag of dizzy dust and put it on the meat side right before putting the beast on. Here are a few pics.

I plan to have a glass of crown or 6 and no longer look at the grill. When I wake up, I will update this post.

Talk to you all soon.

Jason

Slathered with mustard and heavily coated with rub

Little blurry, but you can get the idea, on the grill, platesetter feet up, drip pan with spacer in between so it doesnt burn. DIGI Q probe clipped to the grate right next to the butt, meat probe in the thickest part of the butt. Temp set at 225* and 190* alarm for the meat so I can begin to pay attention at that point.

Good night all, talk to you later.

• atta boy.

• michigan_jason
    atta boy.

We shall see. :D

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    edited July 2012
    Can't wait to see the finished results, and your opinion on injecting. I haven't injected anything yet. Although my next butt i'm taking something from Centex, going to insert pepers and cloves of garlic into the butt (insert joke here).

Brownie, let me know what you think. I used a different rub on the Turbo butt so my results may have been skewed.

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • atta boy.

We shall see. :D

You are all good. talk tomorrow if you have any questions. timing looks good but may have to bump up in the afternoon if it gets close to party time and they aren't cooperating. i think it's good though. Drink up and sleep tight.

• michigan_jason
    Will do, I feel good about my timing.

• Will do, I feel good about my timing.

Me too. And the more I think about it, the fact that you injected makes me think you'll be done early
  • michigan_jason
    I planned for 14hrs which puts me at pm, if it takes an hour or two more I will be happy.

• I planned for 14hrs which puts me at pm, if it takes an hour or two more I will be happy.

sounds right to me. The injection can speed up the cook quite a bit (the liquid is a much more efficient conductor of heat) so I'm interested to see how it shakes out. The 225 grate temp should hold it in check though (I'm usually 250 or a little higher). You are good either way
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    I chose to go low because I have the stoker, and I figured I could always ramp up the temp if need be tomorrow

• I choose to go low because I have the stoker, and I figured I could always ramp up the temp if need be tomorrow

well played I
  • michigan_jason
    1:45 into the cook, butt is at 100 and egg settled in at 225~230 per stoker. Daisy wheel is open a sixteenth of an inch at most. Damper on guru is set at middle notch. Maybe one more update before bed.

J

• michigan_jason
    2:15 into cook now...going to bed. Butt is at 114 put steady 225.

Nite.

• michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    7:15am butt is at 168, & obviously the pits is dead nuts at 225 still. I should hit the stall soon. Haven't opened the dome and don't plan to until its done.

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    The point of the stoker is so you can sleep! Looks like it's chugging along nicely, seems I usually stall around 168-174 range.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."