Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie here....hello all

refrigerationman
refrigerationman Posts: 58
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
long time q'er...had my egg a week today.have been ejoying the info on here alot !

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Welcome Refrigationman. Your cooks look tasty. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Welcome aboard-and as you know, ask away -many here more than willing to help with any BGE related (or not) topic.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Welcome RefrigerationMan! Enjoy the egg, this forum and most importantly ... the journey.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Welcome to the cult, uh I mean club.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Welcome to the family
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited July 2012
    You're in the right place B-)
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Welcome from another newbie!  People here are so helpful!!
  • iGrf
    iGrf Posts: 2
    Also new here, we're from Belgium and picked up our first Egg at the beginning of the week !
    Have wanted one for a long time but doubted if it was worth its high price .... but now that I have one I wished I bought it earlier !
    All our food this week has been cooked on the EGG, last night I've made chicken by just adding some chicken spices and pepper and a little bit of pecan chips to the coal !
    This was the best chicken we've ever had, even my wife started picking clean the carcass and she normally  only eats the breast because the hates getting the meat from the bones :)

Also love the forum, already found lots of cooking tips that I want to give a try !
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Loved the first post iGrf - looking forward to the next 3K+!
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Welcome to the show !!!!

Opelika, Alabama
  • iGrf
    iGrf Posts: 2
    Loved the first post iGrf - looking forward to the next 3K+!
    Thanks !

don't worry I love cooking and have 2 weeks holiday @ home to fill !
    Unfortunatly I didn't get any pictures from the chicken because I lit the fire while the sun was out but when the chicken was ready there was a thunderstorm so things got a bit crazy, moving everything out of the rain etc. Not that the EGG was bothered by some rain :)

I do have one picture from a lunch, some sweet peppers, eggplant and tomates farci.
    I smoked the eggplant at low heat for approx 90 min and then left it on while I heated up the egg.
    Scraped out the interior, tossed it in a blender with some yoghurt, lime juice, pepper and mint.
    Went superbly with the turkish meatballs, peppers and some rice.
    The stuffed tomatoes were for my son, normally you put them in the oven but in those little ramekins they turned out great !

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Welcome refrigerationman and iGrf.  Not only is the egg amazing, but so are most of the people on this forum.  Even the one's that aren't amazing are still pretty helpful.  :)

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    Welcome. I have only been on here a few weeks myself and getting on here is the best thing I could have done to better my egging. Enjoy!
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Welcome refrigerationman and iGrf!   That eggplant sounds great- I'm going to try it! Did you season it all before you smoked it? Thanks!!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Welcome refrigerationman and iGrf!  I am also new here, but have had an egg for several years.  The cooks on this forum are awesome.  I have learned so much.  Enjoy!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Welcome! Watch this guy above, he is trouble  ;) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He's actually a great egger and has lived around the corner from me for the better part of 25 years. Good peeps like many on here. Glad to have you and glad to help when we can

Just do not gamble with him when it comes to throwing watermelons onto pool rafts for shots. You will lose.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Welcome aboard!  It is a learning curve, but oh so worth it...  Only had my XL about a month or so.  The only thing i will use gas for now is the weed burner to light the egg!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Welcome! I too am new (1 month) into it and I love it to death!  Ive cooked non-stop since I've had the egg.  The question I ask myself now is, How did I ever go so long without the egg? All that wasted money tending to my old smoker.  Enjoy
  • I really enjoy seeing the 1 month guys and how they get up to speed so quickly. The 3 month guys are answering questions on the forum already and the 6 month guys are telling me what I'm doing wrong!

Love it.

• Cen-Tex I tell you I had zero issues with controlling the temp on the egg.  I farted around with my old smoker all the time and could never do brisket, (I could wear the thing as a boot).  But I had 100% confidence in the egg and made a great brisket last week.  I am very impressed with this forum and how everyone shares, wish the rest of life could be the same!  Refrigerationman is going to love it, Im excited for him!

• Cen-Tex I tell you I had zero issues with controlling the temp on the egg.  I farted around with my old smoker all the time and could never do brisket, (I could wear the thing as a boot).  But I had 100% confidence in the egg and made a great brisket last week.  I am very impressed with this forum and how everyone shares, wish the rest of life could be the same!  Refrigerationman is going to love it, Im excited for him!

Awesome. Those old barrel smokers are a total PITA compared to an egg. My buddy has one and he's up every 3 hours to feed the beast and then another hour or 2 to mess with temps. I wouldn't even bother doing BBQ if I had to do all that stuff. He also goes through lump and wood at least 10 to 1 over me. It takes him 20lbs of lump to do a single brisket!

• Cen-Tex totaly correct. I hated to feed the beast. I would go through one bag of Kingsford and three big bags of chunk wood (found in Wal-Mart) and I would have to finish it in the oven. That is not BBQing, the egg has allowed me to focus on the product and not the means to cook it.  The egg is the bomb!
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Welcome!!!!  Especially the world of Eggin'!!!!  Many helpful folks on here!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!