Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time using XL Egg and all I can say is WOW!

Options
BigDoug
BigDoug Posts: 9
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So yesterday I used my BGE XL for the first time. I Smoked 6 Racks of Loin Backs at 250 and controlling the temp was absolutely effortless.
It was the most relaxing Smoke I have ever done. The ribs came out perfect and I was blown away with how little Lump I used. I knew these things were
amazing but had no idea how easy they were.

Thanks BGE and everyone that answered my many questions on the forum.

Comments

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    The XL rocks.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

agreed- i have the XL and it rocks!

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Love my XL also.3rd cook yesterday of burgers and sweet corn. Everything came out perfectly.
  • TexasTim
    TexasTim Posts: 4
    Options

Soooo, other than price, any "downside" to using an XL egg versus a Large?  Fuel consumption, heavy lid, etc????

I am trying to decide what to buy, which typically it is just my wife and I, but, for those larger parties, I think the XL would be best?

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    I have an XL and love it, I wish they made a bigger one, just being able to cook veggies and meat together and perhaps a nice sauce clinches it.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    Oh meant to add, when I cook pizzas I can get two on at once, perfect.
  • banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    Options
    I bought an XL this past Monday and cooked a bunch of wings and drumsticks for the 4th.  It was really easy to maintain temp and the chicken turned out great.
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I received the XL as a housewarming gift from my father about 2 months ago. I originally thought "this thing is way too big, he should've just gotten a large". It took one cook of potato medallions, burgers, and corn to realize that it is definitely not too big. Go with the XL
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

The real estate on an XL is worth every dollar more it costs over the large.  I don't need it every day, but I do at least 3 times per month.  Trust me, as soon as your neighbors, friends and relatives sample your cooks, you will be utilizing the space and maybe buy a second one like I did.  I was thinking about buying a large as my second, but since I could share my accesories across XLs, it was actually cheaper to buy the XL as my second egg.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options

Soooo, other than price, any "downside" to using an XL egg versus a Large?  Fuel consumption, heavy lid, etc????

I am trying to decide what to buy, which typically it is just my wife and I, but, for those larger parties, I think the XL would be best?

No downside.   If you can afford it go XL
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    No downside if you don't count all the peeps that just happen to stop by at dinner time. 
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    DEFINITELY XL.....

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Go with the XL and never look back!
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    pics pics pics..... otherwise it didnt happen!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• TexasTim
    Options

Thanks everyone!

An XL it will be!

• BigDoug
    Options
    Her's a pic of the ribs.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Next time some bone head sales guy at a dealer tells someone how hard it is to control temps on an XL just refer them to this thread. Still have no idea why that's such a prevailing thought out there. My guy told me the same thing when I bought my large 8 years ago.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Her's a pic of the ribs.
    Nice Doug..good job.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options

Ribs look AWSOME Doug.

TexasTim - all downsides other than the space it takes can be addressed so if you only get one make it the XL!  For grillin it is the best!  Had my large for a number of years and it is an extremely versitle BBQ'in device - and one becomes fairly creative with practice (and help from the forum) in juggling the grilling real estate, but the shear size of the XL single grate is so nice when you have a steak/sides dinner for 6 in front of you.  In the middle of the first low-n-slow on the XL and so far it is rock solid at holding temperature.

• bstang2005
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm currently looking to purchase my first egg and the and I have been planning on buying the XL but two different dealers have tried to talk me into the Large.

Now I'm thinking I'll stick with purchasing a XL
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm currently looking to purchase my first egg and the and I have been planning on buying the XL but two different dealers have tried to talk me into the Large.

Now I'm thinking I'll stick with purchasing a XL

Come on in the water is warm bstang!  Good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • BigDoug
    Options
    I think dealers shy people away from the XL just because they don't personally have any
    experience with using them. The dealers I spoke to had cooked on or owned the large models, and had
    sold XL's but never had a chance to use them.

As far as the XL's ability to hold a steady temp. It might take a little more fuel (very little) to get the XL up to
    temp but once it's there it just as easy to hold it as the other BGE's
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Options
    I've seen very little negitive talk about the Xl. I own one and can't imagine using a smaller egg. I can put 44-48 big wings on one grate with this thing. That seals the deal for me!!
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    I just got my egg a month ago after tons of research. The bad thing is one of the sales reps actually told me "what you really want is a gas grill" I chuckled walked out of the store went elsewhere and got one. I would put it in my top 5 best all time purchases, and thats with one month under my belt. 
  • TexasTim
    Options

Ahhhhh

It warms my heart to read the good things about the XL size.  I think the salesmen must get more of a kickback from selling the Larges... other than that, I dunno.

I'd rather get it right the first time and get the XL then purchase a large and regret it at some point in the future.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!! 

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    I think dealers shy people away from the XL just because they don't personally have any
    experience with using them. The dealers I spoke to had cooked on or owned the large models, and had
    sold XL's but never had a chance to use them.

As far as the XL's ability to hold a steady temp. It might take a little more fuel (very little) to get the XL up to
    temp but once it's there it just as easy to hold it as the other BGE's
    When I went and got mt XL pizza stone @ 
    BBQ Galore It was just up the street. Out of 5 sales peeps only one guy has used one or owns one and he had a small. I asked him the reason he said thats all he could afford. We talked for awhile and he asked more ??s about the XL than I asked him. As I left he said now I have to save longer.  :)) I said back or get a better job!  #-o