Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lid open cooking?

Options
Spiker
Spiker Posts: 1
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
!am a rookie.....used to working on a gas grill and cooking with the lid open sometimes. Can that be done on my Egg? If so, how?

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    If you are: frying, woking, searing. (maybe others) then sure leave the dome open. With the dome open you will lose almost all of what makes the egg superior to a gasser.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Sure can but you lose the value of the ceramic convection cook.  The only time I cook anything with the dome open (and I won't speak for anyone else) is when searing a steak.  Beyond that-shut is the way the BGE is designed to work its magic.  Just one view-Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    That is grilling and you can just leave the lid open. Remember that you are going to have a VERY HOT grid so things can go really fast. I would recommend starting your fire and stacking your lump on one side of the EGG to give you two cooking zones. You can also raise the grid through the use of fire bricks or carriage bolts with washers and some nuts to raise the grid to the felt line. 

Just close down the vents and close the lid when you are done to save your remaining lump.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes, you can leave the lid open, and just flip the food as you like. However, an Egg with the dome wide open is like a gasser with the gas on max. Actually, well beyond that. With a full airflow, the lump will eventually be generating so much IR that the food is getting hit w. more heat than gas jets. And eventually, the carbon monoxide will also start yo burn at, hmm, I think about 2100F.

I do a lot of turn and flip cooking, but I work as fast as possible, and close the lid. I assume that when the dome therm is above 300, I've got about 5 minutes before the lump goes lava. Just not fun working with chicken leg quarters that are turning to balls of fire
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Keep the lid closed as much as possible. Despite popular belief, this is recommended for all types of grills with the exception of quick searing.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47