Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Double Fail

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
:-O
Mom flew out for the Fourth, and she wanted chicken off my new BGE.  I'd done a couple spatchcocks already and they came out perfect, but for whatever reason I absentmindedly put the platesetter in, making it an indirect cook.  Skin didn't brown up well at all.
It tasted okay but not great.  Then I glanced over and noticed mom had peeled the skin off and set it aside, she doesn't eat chicken skin anymore!  Kinda takes the rub and smoke out of the equation, dunnit?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    You can inject. If you want the skin browned I would cook at a higher temp. 
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Bummer! I always include rub under the skin as well as the outside too.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Wait, so spatchcock is direct?

Regular or raised?

Serious questions
    Boom
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Options
    Am I the only one subscribing to the idea that chicken should taste like chicken, and not rub? :P
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options

allitnils I do both (with and without) when cooking whole chicken. @ 
    FanOfFanboys You can do it both ways. 
    Botch was doing it indirect that's why I said I would raise the temp. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've tried Spatchcock both direct and indirect and we have decided we like it indirect at about 300-350 grid temperature.  The skin browns very nicely.  I've put rub under the skin where possible and that comes out nicely.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56
    Options
    what temp are you pulling your chicken off at? I pulled mine off last night at 155 we had to leave came back an hour later and it was GOOD! and i didnt die....lol im thinking i might start pulling it earlier from now on,
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm in the spatchcock direct, raised grid around 350-400*F on the dome (wherever it settles).   I cook with the legs toward the back of the BGE (hotter area) and ice the breasts for around 20 mins before starting the cook.  Go to 160 on the breasts and 180+ in the thighs.

For seasoning-I rub under the skin as well. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    +1 lousubcap.  I followed your lead on this from another thread.  Works great!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Blarneystone
    Options
    I've tried Spatchcock both direct and indirect and we have decided we like it indirect at about 300-350 grid temperature.  The skin browns very nicely.  I've put rub under the skin where possible and that comes out nicely.
    How do you put rub UNDER the skin? Dumb question I know.
    BGE Large
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Blarneystone-to rub under the skin, find or create an opening between skin and meat along the edge of breast or thigh and slowly work your fingers under the skin.  You are basically separating the skin from the meat.  You can then apply the rub directly to the meat.  Really enhances the flavor. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I really enjoy marinating my bird over injecting, I think marinating gives the skin and a little of the chicken that flavor I'm seeking while still keeping the chicken flavor.

lousubcap What is the benefit of ice? Really curious.

Blarneystone Simply work your fingers or thumbs in between the skin and meat of the breast, once it is separated ( not pulled off) you can push rub or butter or a mixture of both underneath the skin.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    Am I the only one subscribing to the idea that chicken should taste like chicken, and not rub? :P
    I agree with this. While I don't mind when there is a lot of rub and other stuff on chicken, but I do really like a quality cooked piece of chicken without all the extras other then maybe just some basics thrown on. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Brownie-benefits of ice; read it somewhere and have been using the technique for quite a while.  Cools the breasts before cooking.  I think it helps when targeting a finish temp of 160 or so with the breasts and 180+ in the thighs on the same bird.  But it could be like the mustard binder deal...works for me though.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Ok, My thighs always seem to be over target temp when when the breast gets there. I usually check a few temps after 20mins (rotate the bird if needed) and try to keep the thighs away from the hot coals, and they are usually 190-200* when my breast reach 160*. Maybe I won't need to try since however I manage it, they (the thighs) always cook much faster.  But thanks for the technique, I find your tips and advice (as well as many others here) of high value!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've iced the breasts of Turkeys when I cook  them but never a Spatchcock chicken.  I think the way a Spatchcock chicken is put on the grill shields the breast more than the thighs already so icing it would make the thighs even  hotter when the breast was done.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Wait, so spatchcock is direct? Regular or raised? Serious questions
    I have done it indirect and direct raised.  Direct raised worked much better.  Perfect brown skin that was crispy...best chicken I have ever made.