Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pulled pork may be a flubb

Options
g-o
g-o Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey it was my first time. I don't know what happened. After I got the fire going again, the meat temp. climbed steadily to 200. Took it off about 8:30 Its good, but its not tender or juicy. A little dry. Did I mention this was a ham roast, not a shoulder cut? Maybe that makes a difference. Not enough fat, I would suspect. Oh well, next time I'll use a picnic roast & try to do better. I'm somashamed.
Gord

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    g-o,
    Don't feel bad! Nothing is perfect everytime. I have a fresh picnic on right now and expect it will ready tomorrow afternoon and I "think" it will be juicy. The last one was. I removed most of the skin (Thanks mucho to the person who suggested it, Spin I think) and rubbed the whole thing with mustard and rub and let it sit wrapped in the fridge for 24 hours. I'm cooking at ~250 and when the polder reaches 160~170 then I will replace the fat cap to self-baste the meat for the rest of the cook. This worked well the last time I did it and the meat was very well smoked and with the fat cap added later, it was very juicy. I plan to pull it off the grill at around 195-200 and let it rest and I expect it will reach 200+ degrees. If not, then I've learned something else, ;), either way, I will have some good eats.
    Have a good weekend.
    later, ChefRD

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    g-o,
    Sorry to hear about your experience. The butt you are looking for is usually labelled something like "Pork Shoulder Blade Roast", "Boston Butt", "Picnic", "Pork Shoulder" or something like that. You should see plenty of fat marbled throughout.[p]I am pretty sure that even though you had quite an adventure with your temps/fire/etc., if you had the right cut you would have achieved happy success. The main thing is that what you learned is worth your efforts!![p]Now go get a real butt, and give it another go. Soon. You will be glad you persevered![p]Go g-o.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    g-o,[p]I have heard of doing a ham like pulled pork but never tried it. If it was more lean than a butt - that would account for some of the problem. A 200 deg butt is like pulling butter it is so tender. The idea behind 200 deg is to allow the fats, conective tissues etc to break down and drip out. A lean cut does not require that so it will start to dry out at some point. The Egg retains a lot of moisture but anyone who makes jerky can tell you that it will dry out meat after awhile. Try a cut like Nature mentioned next time and your results will be better for sure.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Wings_04_02_00_05.jpg
    <p />ChefRD, nice to see oyu posting again - guess what's for lunch today? Would you believe ChefRD's Hot Wings! I cut them up last night and was just going down to mix the ingrediants and get them ready for lunch. The picture is from last time. Such a nice treat.[p]Have a great day.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • SpiceCooks
    SpiceCooks Posts: 80
    Options
    Gfw,
    Good morning! Boy those wings look good even this time of the day. I am wondering how long you cooked those fantastic looking wings and at what temp? Thanks.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    SpiceCooks, Nice to hear from you. Is this a BBQ day? [p]The Wings: Just about an hour of cooking time, plus about 1.5 hours of refrigerator setup time. The only changes that I make to ChefRD's original recipe is double the red and white pepper. [p]Go for it... There is still time for lunch preparation! The link is to the last time made - times and pics.

[ul][li]ChefRD's Hot Wings[/ul]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Gfw,
    Good Morning Gordon, I still lurk around a lot but with all the good input given by others I don't feel I can contribute much. (and most of the time I read this from work ;-))
    I'm glad you like the wings and I'm trying other ways too so if I find something I really like I'll let you know. The PP I started last evening is now at 154* and smelling great. Its finally stopped raining and looks like life is good again :-)
    later, ChefRD