Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Sweet Basil

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited June 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
3 weeks ago a friend gave me a gallon zip loc bag of sweet basil.  Made the obligatory pesto, pizza and red sauce. 
 Yesterday he gifted me with another bag same size.  Can I just put in food processor with water or evoo , puree and freeze for the future? 
Any thoughts are eggpreciated.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    No need for water...  Just put in food processor, add evoo at the end and freeze in ice cube trays.

edited June 2012
    Options
    edit: posted twice...

Options
    i freeze any basil i have in the fall, it keeps its flavor but basil turns black when frozen, still its fine added to sauces and stews but it wont look fresh again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    Options
    My little girl's have a garden and wouldn't you know we were trying to decide what to do with the basil tree we've grown. Thanks for the ideas. What about cilantro, chives and thyme? 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I've always freeze extra pesto. Then in the food processor i add the EVOO, and if i keep it on a jar, i make sure there is a layer of EVOO on the top to keep air out.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!